Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

House search please help!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annabella07

Annabella07 Report 3 Mar 2010 22:57

Can anyone help me find any info on 114 graig rd, God-rer-graig.
My great grandparents are william davies abt 1888- 1964 and sarah ann Williams. They used to live there, there`s that many williams and davies in wales i cant pin point my relatives.

Thanks
Annabella

Von

Von Report 3 Mar 2010 23:32

Annabella
Are you sure they were there in 1911?
When did they marry and did they have any children?
It may be easier to find the children
Von

Annabella07

Annabella07 Report 3 Mar 2010 23:52

Thats the thing i dont know i cant pin point any records for them i know they are both buried in the graveyard behind the house but with there being that many results im confused what district would it come under swansea or pontardawe. They had three children 1 still living (born around 1932 pontardawe) and william and sally are both deceased ( sally did marry william didnt). I think ive found sarah in 1901 born abt 1895 ystalyfera

Civil parish: llangnicke
County: Glamorgan
District: Pontardawe
ED; 14
Household sch: 119

I know that sarah`s parents were called richard ( pattern maker or his father was)and emily passmore and william`s father was william ( land owner) not sure about mother

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 4 Mar 2010 00:26

Tell me about it - I too have Davies's, thank goodness no Williams.

I think you might have to accept that it is going to be impossible to tie them all up without spending a lot of money on incorrect certificates, and maybe still not being sure.

Same with my John Kelly in Ireland - not a chance!

Von

Von Report 4 Mar 2010 09:50

Annabella
I too have nearly drowned in a sea of Davies but eventually found them.
Can you look at the address on the electoral register to pinpoint when they lived in God -re -graig?
I've looked on FMP but in two cases Graig Rd doesn't go up to number 114
and in the other the houses aren't numbered.
I think you may need to find out more about their lives if you can and trace them back. Do you know William's occupation?
Sorry I can't help but from experience know that it can take a very long time to unearth Welsh relatives!!!!
Good Luck
Von
Edit I,ve looked at the official 1911 site and it looks as if Godrergraig comes under Pontardawe. In fact only 5 William Davies come up none of whom were born c 1888. Might be worth a look

Von

Von Report 4 Mar 2010 10:06

Annabella
This is the only William Davies in Graig Road in 1911 but his wife is Elizabeth.
DAVIES,
William Head Married M 24 1887 Coal Miner Hewer Glamorgan Pontardawe
DAVIES, Elizabeth Wife Married
5 years F 26 1885 Glamorgan Morriston
DAVIES, Annie Letitia Daughter Single F 4 1907 School Glamorgan Pontardawe
WATSON, Arthur James Boarder Single M 38 1873 Tinworker Labourer Hertfordshire Herts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number: RG14 Piece:32697 Reference:
RG14PN32697 RG78PN1866 RD593 SD1 ED16 SN115

Registration District:Pontardawe
Sub District:Pontardawe Enumeration
District:16 Parish:Rhyndwyglydach

Address:
Graig Road Trebanos S O County:
Glamorganshire
Von

Annabella07

Annabella07 Report 4 Mar 2010 20:32

Thanks everyone, ive contacted loads of members about william davies, not one is a match to mine, Its just not possible. I think the only way to sort through them is to have them all listed in one place and get people to tick off there relatives. I bet you`d find that all the williams and davies in pontardawe area are all related one way or another!!!!!

Can you help me with one more thing ive been searching for the name of the graveyard that is behind the house i dont know what im doing wrong but my google results are not bringing it up !!!!!!

Ivy

Ivy Report 5 Mar 2010 07:06

Graig Road comes up on Google maps. It runs roughly NNE. If you follow it northwards to where it changes its name to Cyfyng Rd, and swap to the satellite view, there appears to be a chapel and graveyard just on the east side of the road. Would it be this one?

Frederick

Frederick Report 5 Mar 2010 13:00

Hi Anna,... 3 Post Codes for you to Google, numbers appear to go up to No. 317.
SA92NX.
SA92NY.
SA92NZ.

F.

Lucy

Lucy Report 30 Jul 2018 16:36

Hello.

Quite alot of my family lived in that house including a sarah ann williams who married a william davies. Sarah's parents were richard williams and Emily passmore (my great great grand parents). I may not have the information you want or need but i am more than willing to share what i have with you. If this area is still of interest to you, please feel free to drop me a message

Also the cemetery is called either graig cemetry or godergraig cemetery

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jul 2018 17:03

Please remove your e-mail from your post, Lucy.

Not allowed on the boards - and very unwise, in any case, as not all the people who use these sites are genuine.

To try to contact Annabella who last posted 8 years ago, click on her name and send a message. If her e-mail is still the same as when she registered, GR will notify her

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jul 2018 17:09

The Davieses weren't at the address in 1939

Rattle Household (5 People)
114 Graig Road , Pontardawe R.D., Glamorganshire, Wales

William T G Rattle 19 Sep 1909 Male Roadstone Quarrier Married 247 1
Elsie M Field (Rattle) 20 Apr 1911 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 247 2
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.