Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problems with the Clipboard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 21 May 2010 19:42

Yesterday I was able to copy relations from another tree to my clipboard and then paste from the clipboard into my own tree, for some reason it's not working today.
It copies the person to my clipboard when I am on another tree, however when I go back to my tree the clipboard is empty!

Anyone else having the same problem or know how to fix it?

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 21 May 2010 20:46

Hi Emma

I have just tried mine and it works fine.

However, I never copy information from anyone elses tree unless I have some proof that the information is sound or you could be copy wrong information.

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 22 May 2010 02:17

Hi TootyFruity How do you copy from one tree to the clipboard etc and then into your tree? I posted this as a question a few days ago but could not understand the reply. Can you help me please? Bob.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 May 2010 10:36

Hi Bob

you select on the person you wish to copy by clicking on it. Press copy. This will then be added to your clipboard. Change back to your tree select were you wish to add and open it by pressing add either sibling mother father etc. Once your choice has been made click clipboard and then the person you wish to add.

As I said before it is not a good idea to copy from other trees without verifying the information yourself. Otherwise you are producing a work of fiction rather than fact.

When my hubby and I first started our family tree we copied from another tree only to discover when we had been doing it awhile that thisinformation was totally false and unsubstanciated.

Far better to use other trees as a guide rather than a fact

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 May 2010 13:12

I think many people fell for that one TR, when starting out. These days I always cross check everything as a minimum to the BMD indexes and Census - if before 1911. It is surprising how many people make guesses even when dealing with people in the 1900's, I'm sure it laziness sometimes.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 May 2010 15:47

Hi IGP

when starting out it is really exciting when others show you their trees and the temptation to copy is so great because you think wow look at all this info, and not understanding how it all works and I remember thing must get everything copied because it might not be there next time I log on which simply isn't true and then crashing when I got more experience and realising that a lot of the copied stuff was untrue and starting again.

If I can stop one person falling into this trap, then I am happy

Gramps63

Gramps63 Report 23 May 2010 08:10

Thanks for your help TootyFruity and IGP. I have also fallen previously in believing some information I saw as being correct where in actual fact the person was misleading several people. Bob

Patricia

Patricia Report 23 May 2010 21:54

Hi to all
thanks just found out what the clipboard was for. Still I am wondering is there a page where I can leave notes for myself?

Susan

Susan Report 11 Feb 2013 20:57

I'm having problems using the clipboard the person is there I click on their name and nothing! :-(

Nigel

Nigel Report 2 Mar 2013 16:54

I'm the same, when I add a new person then click on the Name ion the Relation Clipboard nothing happens.

IE9 or Chrome used. WIn7.

Go on someone please give me a clue, its very annoying.

Thanks.

John

John Report 19 Oct 2013 21:43

I'm having the same problem. Can easily get names into the clipboard. Can switch tree to mine OK; names still in clipboard. Then start adding the missing relative (father or whatever), but at whatever stage I click on the name in the clipboard, nothing seems to happen. Logically, when I try to add the relative, and I get a small window with two tabs, one for add new, and one for add existing I might expect a third tab for "add from clipboard", but nothing like that seems to exist. I'm pretty experienced with computers, but I just can't seem to make this work.

Please no more advice on what a bad idea it is; just a means of actually making it work. I understand I have to check stuff, but it's easier to check stuff than to work from a blank sheet.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Oct 2013 00:49

Err ............. it doesn't work and as you've realised hasn't for sometime. Technical details or suggestions for improvements might be better directed to the support team, but don't expect a speedy favourable outcome!

[email protected]

Arguments for or against aside, you could open GR in another window (not tab), open your tree in one window and the tree you want to copy from in the other.

Resize the two windows so that you can view them side-by-side and manually copy the details of the other tree to yours.

Thomas

Thomas Report 11 Jan 2015 16:05

I've just rejoined and I find the clipboard function does not work!!
How disappointing - so much so I have cancelled subscription - really annoyed about time wasted and the fact that they have left a non working function "live".

GeorgeT

GeorgeT Report 19 Jan 2015 18:55

I have used this service for many years, 10+, my tree is about 1000. would not have done that without the clipboard. I could have 2 windows open, copy 4 or 5 relations to the clip board, then paste them one by one into my tree. I asked for it to be expanded to make you able to select a whole section of a tree, copy this to the clipboard with one click, and select a point to add it into your own tree with one click. shortly after this the clip board stopped working and this is the first I have heard of it being fixed, in spite of repeated requests the support staff. since then I have continued to pay but have not used G. R, I just keep it to keep my tree alive in the hope that they will fix it sometime.
I just came here again because I am not working any more so decided to stop it, but I will check first and see if it is usable. I can't
do it manually.

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Sep 2017 19:08

I find this infuriating. I spent AGES reading and trying to troubleshoot...still no solution.

I see the details in the clipboard but nothing happens after that???

Can I get a response from GR staff? I'm a sporadic user over 8 years now, this clipboard used to work fine!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Sep 2017 19:05

It hasn't worked for years, Caroline. as you may have gaterhed from this thread

Send an email to

[email protected]

They say they will reply within 3-5 working days ................ and usually do seem to do that