Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding a place of birth in Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 26 Feb 2011 22:59

Hi
I would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas how to find where someone was born in Ireland
I have 5 different gt.gt.gt. grandparents who are listed on census records as being born in Ireland, some state County Mayo. Is there any way I can find details? I have marriage certs but these only show where they lived at the time, not where they were born.
thanks for any help

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Feb 2011 09:27

Susan..I can only suggest you put some further details and dates on your thread and we take it from there....There are plenty of Irish sites to search but you need to be a little more specific.....

Sue C

Sue C Report 27 Feb 2011 14:30

Would they have been around for the 1911 census, and if so have you found them?

I knew my gg grandfather was born in Ireland, but it wasn't until the 1911 census was released that I found out exactly where. Because he had filled the return form in himself, he had taken the trouble to be more precise than the enumerators had been in previous years.

Susan

Susan Report 3 Mar 2011 21:51

these ggg grandparents were living in Wolverhampton in 1861 -
Darby Callagher, born Mayo, Ireland c.1820,
his wife Mary Anne (nee Maley) born Ireland c.1831
Thomas Heston, born Ireland c.1824
Willian Burke, born Mayo c.1822
and his wife Catherine (nee Boyle) born Mayo c.1826

Is there anyway to trace where abouts in Mayo they would be from?

Just for info certificate I have show the spelling of Darby's surname has been transcribed in a variety of ways from Kallager, Kallaghan, Kelogher and Gallagher! Doesn't help with the seraching

thanks for any help

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 4 Mar 2011 09:03

Susan...Were the ggparents married in the Co Mayo or Wolverhampton...?
How does Tommy Heston fit into the picture...Was 1861 the earliest you located them in England and..What Cert.relating to Darby are you referring to and does it have any other info.on it..

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 4 Mar 2011 09:20

Is this is them 1861? Are the other people above at different address??

1861 England Census

Name: Darby Callagher
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Callagher
Where born: Ireland

Civil parish: Wolverhampton
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Wolverhampton
County/Island: Staffordshire

Registration district: Wolverhampton
Sub-registration district: Wolverhampton Eastern

Darby Callagher 40
Mary Ann Callagher 30
Henry Callagher 8 Where born: Stafford, Staffordshire, England
Mary Ann Callagher 4 Where born: Stafford, Staffordshire, England

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 4 Mar 2011 09:26

Tommy?

1861 England Census (rest of family born W'ton):

Name: Thomas Huston
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Huston
Where born: Ireland

Civil parish: Wolverhampton
Ecclesiastical parish: St John
County/Island: Staffordshire

Registration district: Wolverhampton
Sub-registration district: Wolverhampton Western

Thomas Huston 32
Mary Huston 33
Thomas Huston 9
Edward Huston 8
Peter Huston 6

Susan

Susan Report 4 Mar 2011 18:22

thank you all for your interest and help so far and sorry for not explaining things very well, wasn't sure how much info to include..... so here goes!

the farthest I've been able to get back with all of these individuals are the 1851/1861 census and I'm unsure if there is any way to go back further I would love to know how to get the specific details about where in Ireland. (all the the info I am very certain of and know I have the correct people)

William and Catherine Burke are my paternal ggg parents. They married in Wolverhampton in 1841 and in 1851 were living at 48 Canal St.

Thomas and Julia Heston were married in W'ton in 1852 and in 1861 were living in Castle Place. Julia was born in W'ton.

Darby and Mary Anne are maternal ggg p, they married in W'ton in 1853 and in 1861 lived at 23 Caribee Island.

Spellings for Darby's surname are as follows-
Marriage cert - Calaher
Death - Kallocher
his son's marriage cert - Keallgley
....and more variations in each generation, but as I say I know I've got the right people.

Looking forward to your ideas about what I do next,

thanks Sue

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 4 Mar 2011 19:33

According to the 1881 Census Julia was b Ireland... also a quick check of 1911 Index shows Julia still alive and states b. Co Mayo...Have you a maiden name for her..?

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Thomas HESTON Head M Male 57 Ireland Labourer Bricklayers
Julia HESTON Wife M Female 47 Ireland
Patrick HESTON Son Male 14 Wolverhampton, Stafford, England Labourer General
Catherine HESTON Dau U Female 22 Wolverhampton, Stafford, England Works At Chemical Works (MC)
Austin HESTON Brother U Male 59 Ireland Labourer General

Cannot find Darby and Ma.Ann 1881.....

To locate "where" in the Co Mayo any or all of them originated needs a search of all locations for the surnames

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 20 Lawyers Fields
Census Place Wolverhampton, Stafford, England
Family History Library Film 1341670
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2800 / 93
Page Number 20

Susan

Susan Report 6 Mar 2011 19:50

thanks Eringobragh1916.

Julia's maiden name was Stanton, I was working from 1871 census which states she was born W'ton but your right I think it's more likely to be Ireland.

You mention having to search the locations for the surname, how do I do this

brummiejan you have the right person for Darby but for Thomas, I have him living with his wife Julia nd his two daughters

thanks again for your help

Sue

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 6 Mar 2011 21:46

Susan...Concentrating on the Thomas and Julia as you know they were married in W'Hampton...have you looked for other Stantons in the area...?
It may be worthwhile checking to see if her parents or Bros/sisters may be around..I dont have the earlier Census to check these for you...I would suggest she was Mayo woman...Plenty Stanton's in the Co Mayo....
Do you have either Thomas' or Julia's fathers name....?