Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saving images

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

leb001

leb001 Report 16 Aug 2012 14:36

Hi
Is anyone having the same problem as me? I have been viewing British Archive Newspaper Articles and paid to view several images. According to the site it says after viewing the image to click on Download to save as a Jpeg I don't have a toolbar to be able to do this. All I see when I open an image is a small dashboard to pan the image or change it to full screen or full page view.
Any help would be much appreciated as I don't want to lose the images before expiry and end up paying for them again.
Thanks

Kense

Kense Report 16 Aug 2012 14:43

Is this thread what you want?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1308250

leb001

leb001 Report 16 Aug 2012 15:46

Thanks for that. I've just used the snipping tool and managed to transfer it to Word. Quite a lot of hassle as the article was quite long so had to section it into 4 pieces then move it about to get it into one document as I couldn't view the whole article in one screen with a readable font size. Not too impressed at paying for something I can't automatically save as a jpeg as you can with most stuff! But thanks for the help. Its much appreciated

Janice

Janice Report 16 Aug 2012 16:48

Would it be easier to Print Screen and then open it in Paint or similar?

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 16 Aug 2012 19:08

Lynne.

I think we should ask Genes about this. There has to be a way to save an image. Even when I saved the article as a Web page I still couldn't get the page back again. So something is wrong. So frustrating.

I will write to Genes later on this evening. Can't do so now as I have to go out shortly.

Marie.

leb001

leb001 Report 16 Aug 2012 20:45

I've sent an email earlier today Marie. Will wait and see what reply we get! Print Screen isn't working for me on this for some reason so I'm still using the snipping tool. As you say frustrating!

Lynne

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 17 Aug 2012 14:34

This is the reply I got from Genes this morning:

'I'm afraid it's not possible to save the article straight from the site.

However, what you can do is take a screenshot of it and save it as a jpeg on your computer. You can then open it up or even print it from there.

Here is a link to instructions on how to use the Windows snipping tool, which I hope you'll find useful."--------

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

This is not satisfactory as with the Snipping Tool you can only capture what is on the screen. You cannot scroll down to capture a long article. I've tried capturing a long article with small print but this doesn't work as when I enlarge in my graphics programme the print is unreadable.

I've just written again to Genes.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 17 Aug 2012 15:52

This is the reply to my second e-mail that I have just received from Genes:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding saving the British Newspaper Articles.

This must be extremely difficult if the article is large like you say. Inevitably, we do receive a lot of feedback and suggestions from our members but please be assured that your email will be individually read by our Management team and that ALL member feedback is taken into account when deciding on future website development.

Thanks again for your views."

So we're out of luck if the article we want does not fit on the screen. Too bad they make it so hard to save records that we have paid to view.
:-| :-| :-|

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 17 Aug 2012 15:56

Lynne

Let me know if there are any other articles you would like to look for. I have access to the British Library Archives on the Lancashire Library site and from there you can save the image.

Marie.

leb001

leb001 Report 17 Aug 2012 21:26

Marie

Thanks so much for your offer. I'll remember that if I need anything.

I got the same reply from Genes. As you say its not very satisfactory and what is annoying is there is nothing to tell you before you actually pay for the credits! You naturally assume you will be able to download as you can other records

Lynne