Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Argentina

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 12 Nov 2012 12:52

Does anyone know if Argentina has a BMD office or a register online? I am trying to find the death of a Master Mariner who died in 1897 and is buried in Argentina, we think in Rosario.
Thanks in anticipation.
Ann. :-S

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2012 13:01

Google..........................always the place to look for ANY info about websites

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2012 13:02

Was he British?

If so, his death should be among the overseas records on FMP.

That's your best bet............

Ann

Ann Report 13 Nov 2012 18:48

Thanks Reggie.
Yes he was British and it's not registered on FMP. We found it as a newspaper entry, Liverpool Courier. This gives his name and the date, but we would love to have a certificate to find out cause of death. Did he fall overboard or was it a disease. Searches online of burial grounds in Rosario have thrown up sweet nothing. His name was Hugh Duncan by the way and died in April/May 1897.
Thanks again.
Ann.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Nov 2012 19:40

Is there a record for him on FMP in theMerchant Seaman records?

Do you know the name of the ship?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Nov 2012 22:45

There are 3 entries for Hugh Duncan, 1897, in the Overseas Deaths on here. One is Army, one Consular and the other is Marine.

I don't have a Platinum subscription, so I can't look at the full record, but I'm sure there will be someone on here who can.

Tudor

Tudor Report 14 Nov 2012 01:07

Have you tried asking the Argentine Embassy for help ? If any such records do exist, they should know.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Nov 2012 09:43

You probably have this but i will post anyway

Large upright sand-stone, pointed top. Sacred to the memory / of / Ellen, / wife of Capt. Hugh DUNCAN, / who died 28th May 1871, / aged 40 years. / Also Hugh DUNCAN, / died 27th August 1871, aged 7 months. / Also Ruth DUNCAN, / died 16th November 1874, aged 63 years. / Also Janet Olive DUNCAN, / died 1st December 1876, aged 6 weeks. / Also Alexander Weir DUNCAN, / who died 23rd September 1887, / aged 16 months. / Also the above named Hugh DUNCAN, / who died at Rosario Sa Fe 11th April 1897. / Also Alec Douglas DUNCAN, / who died 15th February 1901, / in his sixth year.

http://www.medialinkuk.co.uk/cemetery/?page_id=5332&paged=2310

Roy

Ann

Ann Report 14 Nov 2012 12:19

Thank you all very much for your replies. Porkiepie, I do have those details and photos of the gravestone.
Re the platinum subscription, I presume you mean on GR, no I don't have one, but will investigate that.
We don't have the name of the ship either, but do have all the others he captained.

Tudor..Thanks for that suggestion.
Ann.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Nov 2012 13:11

Ann, are you in touch with GR member Jadefish also researching Hugh Duncan

And a comment on the thread from kay elisabeth Who is also related

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1253063

Roy

I have also nudged the thread up for you on the Find Ancestors board

Ann

Ann Report 14 Nov 2012 19:24

Yes thanks, Porkiepie.
They are also researching Hugh Duncan but I haven't heard from them for ages. I think his ship might have been the William Muir so will look into that. I seem to get so far and then come to a dead stop. I have found the Argentine Embassy in London that Tudor suggested, so I am now trying to compose a suitable letter to them.
Thanks again.
Ann.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 14 Nov 2012 19:37

I THINK the official number for the William Muir was 81961 and it looks as though the Log for 1897 is held at the Newfoundland Maritime Archive - see here

http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=81961

Title: Official Log Book and Account of Voyages and Crew for vessels of less than 80 tons register; exclusively employed upon the coasts of the United Kingdom.
Description: An account of voyages and crew and an official logbook in one bound document.
Lineage: Created to fulfill the requirements of the 1883 Merchant Shipping Act.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Nov 2012 20:06

Ann, your opening post was asking about BMD office or a register online,

Andysmum said their are 3 entries for Hugh Duncan Overseas Deaths one of which is a Marine death and one a consular the 3rd Army death is unlikely but it would be worth asking for a look up on these deaths for the details, you can then send for the death cert you think would be most likely to be him

Roy

Ann

Ann Report 16 Nov 2012 19:15

Tudor. I've just had a reply from the Argentine Embassy in London and they have given me a link to follow for the registrations. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the suggestion.
Ann.

Ann

Ann Report 16 Nov 2012 19:26

Tudor.
All the forms are in Spanish so it's back to the drawing board. This might take me some time...lol.
Ann. :-D

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Nov 2012 22:33

Ann

You haven't acknowledged Andysmum, Porkie Pie or my post

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Nov 2012 10:19

There several members who may be able to translate for you eg

Wisechild and Spanish Eyes have both posted on the thread below. You could send them a personal message by clicking on their names

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1314362

Although she is away from home at the moment, UzziInSunshine

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1312347

There are a couple of others, whose names escape me at the moment ;-)

Ann

Ann Report 17 Nov 2012 16:54

Sorry Annielaurie.
I did thank everyone for their replies, but it was in one message. Apologies!
To andy's mum, I asked about the Platinum subscription, was it to Ancestry? I am a full memeber of GR but use FMP for censuses etc. I am a full member to that so have access all the overseas stuff.
As for the Newfoundland stuff I'm afraid I got a bit bogged down and could find anything about the William Muir. I have looked it up before on Google but could only find and old ship that was much too late for Hugh to have sailed on. I fact we are not that sure that that was the name anyway, it was someone else who suggested that on a previous board.
Thank you to evryone who has posted replies..I am slowly working my way through the suggestions.
Ann.