Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

106775 Report 6 Jan 2013 14:43

I only have the marriage cert for 1841, where do i go from here to find info on the couple? The m. cert gives the names of the fathers, but not enough info to investigate.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jan 2013 14:49

You must have gone back to them to get the marriage cert. Where are you wanting to go now?? forwards or backwards

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Jan 2013 14:51

Hello Janet, the marriage cert should also give occupations which would help.

Does it say if the fathers are deceased?

Does it give any actual addresses, or just a place of residence?

Why not give us the details and we'll see if we can get you started off.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Jan 2013 14:54

Given the date, the census returns would be a good bet, but it much depends on what it is you are looking to find.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Jan 2013 14:56

Hi Janet (excellent name, well done!!)

You will need to start looking at parish records - in other words, baptisms, weddings and burials.
Have a look on this site - for practice try and see if you can find the marriage to begin with as you already have the details:

https://familysearch.org/

You will have ages for the bride and groom, however approximate, so might be able to find baptisms for them, putting fathers' names as a check.

Jan

Inky1

Inky1 Report 6 Jan 2013 14:59

Was the marriage before or after the 1841 census?
Where did the marriage take place?
What addresses are stated on the cert?
Were both "of full age", or are ages stated?