Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

US info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Jean Report 21 Jan 2013 18:40

Thank you all for your advice. I shall now get busy!


+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jan 2013 22:23

If some one drew Social Security payments in the US before they died, they ought to be listed on the SSDI which is a central register.

From Ancestry -
*About 98% percent of the people in the SSDI died after 1962, but a few death dates go back as far as 1937*

You can access it for free on familysearch. is another helpful source for earlier US deaths, consisting of gravestone transcriptions and often a photo of them. A married woman often uses her maiden name as a middle name which helps pinpoint the correct person

A good 'gateway' for US records by State is


MargaretM Report 20 Jan 2013 19:52

Some Canadian provinces have more recent records than others. British Columbia, for instance has births up to 1903, marriages up to 1932 and deaths up to 1987.


MarieCeleste Report 20 Jan 2013 16:27

Hi Jean, it all depends who where and when. There isn't a central register of BMDs in USA, they're grouped by state and/or county and all cover different periods.

Canada has much stricter privacy laws and there are no on-line births for around 100 years, marriages for around 80 years and deaths around 50 years.

You may find some records on FamilySearch

Why not give us an example of what you're looking for.


Jean Report 20 Jan 2013 15:10

Does anyone know the best way to trace BMD in US and Canada?