Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probate advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 1 Feb 2013 20:17

Is there someone who has experience of obtaining Probate without the use of a solicitor who could advise me as the correct way to go about it.

There are two banks accounts, four small insurance policies and four small premium bonds to deal with. I'm hoping it should be pretty staright forward.

I would be very grateful of any advice. Thank you.

Chris

Choccy

Choccy Report 1 Feb 2013 20:30

this gives further information

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/obtain-probate

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 1 Feb 2013 20:42

Thanks for your reply Choccy, I've had a look at that.

I'm hoping someone who has been through the processess will be able to tell me about any problems I may encounter.

Chris

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Feb 2013 20:46

You won't need a solicitor unless there are complex trusts etc. OH has been the sole executor on 3 wills and I have been joint executor on my Dad's will and we didn't use a solicitor for any of them. It can be a bit time consuming but it is not difficult to do and we found the local probate office quite helpful if we needed guidance with filling in any section of the forms.

Good luck.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 1 Feb 2013 20:51

Thank you Vera. I was hoping someone would say it's not too difficult to do. Having looked at some forms from the above link I may need a bit of advice. It's just making sure I complete every form that is required that I'm finding a bit daunting.

Chris

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Feb 2013 20:58

Chris, the only problems we occasionally had was getting banks etc. to respond reasonably quickly. They did sometimes need a bit of prompting. I would advise keeping a record of any phone conversations and keeping copies of letters etc.

You do have to attend the local probate office in person before probate is granted but the interview only takes a few minutes and the probate officer I saw was very pleasant.

If any inheritance tax is due it has to be paid before probate is granted. This only arose on one of the four wills we have done and we were able to get the deceased's bank to pay it direct to the probate office from his account so we didn't have to find the money ourselves.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 1 Feb 2013 21:12

I really appreciate your replies Vera, thank you.

Fortunately inheriatance tax will not be due. Thanks for the tip about keeping a record of telephone conversations.

Fortunatley one of the banks does not require probate, just 2 proofs of id, and the death certificate. I'd held power of attorney on the two bank accounts until the death.

Chris

Andrew

Andrew Report 1 Feb 2013 21:32

If the balances are small then probate may not be required. For example HSBC will pay out if the balance is under £20k. I cashed premium bonds my mother held without probate as well. Check with each organistion.

Andy

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 1 Feb 2013 21:37

Thank you for your reply Andrew.

Unfortunately one of the banks has told me today they do require probate. Their threshold is obviously much lower than the HSBC. I've read somewhere that if there are any insurance policies, probate will be required. I'm just hoping it isn't going to be too complicated.

Chris

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Feb 2013 22:19

I have done both my mother's and my mother-in-law's wills. It can involve quite a bit of correspondence, but is not difficult if you are a fairly organised sort of person.

I assume the death took place in England/Wales, as Scottish methods are different. If you would like to chat about it, PM me and I will give you my phone number.

Sue

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 1 Feb 2013 22:25

Andysmum that's really kind of you.

Yes it was in England. It was my lovely nan whose photo you see, she passed away on Wednesday.

I will send you a PM.

Chris

Alec

Alec Report 3 Feb 2013 13:03

Hi Chrissie2394

I have a probate administration company that works on low fixed price fees (including solicitor's fee) based on the work involved NOT percentages of the estate. If you are hoping to do the administration yourself, by all means, call our office (free!) and have a chat with one of my administrators. They will give you accurate advice on the process, timings and options. They will be able to advise which forms will be required to be completed. Its a direct line and there is no sales pitch - just friendly advice even if you want to do the job yourself!

We work on the theory that although you may have the time and inclination to undertake the task, others you know may not and we may be able to help them.

www.valuedestates.com

Regards

Alec Smith

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 3 Feb 2013 22:07

Thank you Alec will do.

Chris