Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not all Data saving in tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 5 Mar 2013 13:47

I entered a load of Marriage data to my GR Tree (thought I had done it but it wasn't there, so did it again), checking and saving - but when I re- checked on completion of my data entry exercise it had gone again.

I have reported the problem to GR and they are aware of (and working on a solution to) the specific problem but thought I would post this as a warning to others if entering data on their tree.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 Mar 2013 22:34

I thought you cannot upload direct to your tree anymore? the upload goes to your Keepsafe, You then have to go to Keepsafe and attach it from their to the rellie in your tree

Roy

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 6 Mar 2013 01:26

I haven't used the Keepsafe (had a quick look just now though). I noted that some marriage details were missing from my tree, so thought I would just check and input them manually, as necessary, found out all were missing (which was a surprise as I thought I had them in). Selected an individual, entered details, checked details, saved details, checked spouse had details, moved on to the next. Then I decided I would just ' check' I had the death details in - went to a married but dead rellie - and the marriage info had gone.

Just happy I only have a small tree and a (reliable) lever arch file.

J-A

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Mar 2013 06:35

I thought the Keepsafe is for managing your photos, documents and other attachments, I didn't think it was involved when entering data to your tree.

Or have I missed something?

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 7 Mar 2013 10:26

Just investigating information (data) in my GR Tree and Keepsafe further - and am enlightened but also confused.

As far as I am aware I have not put anything into my Keepsafe, however, when working through options within Keepsafe I chose 'Saved Records' - and a Military Record appeared - attached to my G Grandfather, showing as a Royal Marine Medal Roll image from 1914, with his name and YOB and YOD (YOB and YOD data is saved in my tree). When I click Edit, then I can see DOB and DOD and places etc, from my Tree but the following appears at the bottom of the screen

"Baptism and Marriage details can be added or amended using the editing feature in the tree. Notes can be added and amended in the Notes section of the profile overview page."

Enlightened (confirms apparently can't put marriage data in via Keepsafe)

Confused - how did this Military Record attach to Keepsafe? I have checked this record before showing that medals V and B were issued - but I have nothing else to check to see if it is really my G Grandfather's info, so would not have attached it to him. Maybe I looked at it and saved it via GR some time ago and it was saved into Keepsafe automatically? Any ideas?

I've checked entering marriage data into my tree again (as recommended by Keepsafe) - Still doesn't save it (thought I would give it a try!)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Mar 2013 16:55

IGP and Jannie, As i said above, you cannot upload direct to your tree anymore? the upload goes to your Keepsafe, You then have to go to Keepsafe and attach it from their to the rellie in your tree

From FAQ

You can add photos to details of any of your relations. From the Family Tree page, select the relation then click on the 'Edit' tab in their name box. This will open the details panel.

Select 'Photos' from the top of the details panel, then click on 'Upload'.

You will be shown a box that says 'Upload to Keepsafe'. Click on the button that says 'Browse' in this box. If you click on this you will see a view of your computer's drives. Locate the image from where you have saved it on your computer then click on the 'Open' button.

You're now ready to start uploading the image. Click on the 'File chosen - click next' link and select the photo type from the onscreen options. Click on the 'Upload to Keepsafe' tab once to start the process, it may take a little while to be transferred to our server.

Once the photo's uploaded, you can add any notes that you wish. A copy of the image will be stored in your Keepsafe too.

Roy

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 8 Mar 2013 22:27

Hello Roy

Thanks for the Keepsafe explanation, currently there isn't anybody who appears to be researching the lines I am researching, so am not adding images or notes to Keepsafe

I wasn't uploading - but doing Data Entry the old fashioned way (therapeutic) - fingers on keyboard, appropriate posture on typist seat, correct eye level for computer monitor, taking ergonomic breaks and doing eye exercises from time to time while entering the information - mainly marriage dates and related info only.

I do not want images in my Keepsafe, (may regret it at a later date no doubt) I have it on my computer or in my blue file and Keepsafe tells me to put Marriage and Baptism info in via the tree.

Also I was confused how something got into the Keepsafe - as far as I know I have not 'uploaded' - although it is simple enough to do . I would not knowingly upload anything that wasn't a proven connected document.

I just wanted an afternoon doing Data Entry - but the GR tree spat the data out into the ether - like Darling Clementine!

J-A

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 9 Mar 2013 15:24

I uploaded many copies of BDM's to my Keepsafe from my files. I tagged them as "Records or Documents" as prompted by the GR Keepsafe upload system. I then tagged each of them to the appropriate Relation.

Now when I open a relations image file the certificate is there with their pictures but when I open records it says "no records for this relation".

Obviously the "Records or Documents" tag is not directing the documents to Records but to Images.

watson77

watson77 Report 9 Mar 2013 23:30

This apparent loss of marriage data has been a bug on my tree since mid-January. The data is not lost, you will have clicked on one partner in a marriage and seen no marriage date and place data - to make it visible, click on Immediate family, then click on the OTHER partner in the marriage and hey presto ! You will probably have to repeat this for other couples., but do this check before wasting time re-entering data you believe lost.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 9 Mar 2013 23:41

Hi watson77

I tried it - and the marriage dates appear. I only tried it on one couple, so when I get time I will work through them all to check that the information is there, which I am sure it will be.

Thank you for your explanation

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 10 Mar 2013 10:15

watson77, like you I discovered there was a problem with the marriage data fields on the tree, it seemed to occur just after the fiasco with the tree over Christmas/New Year period.

I reported it several times and all I got was that Genes Reunited were aware of the problem and were working to resolve it, and it appears that 2 months later they have still not got it working correctly.

I will not go into the many disasters that occurred with their efforts in January 2013 to fix the problems :-|