Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts


ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Dorothy Report 10 Mar 2013 13:46

Can someone explain what a GEDCOM is.
I would like to print off my family tree but I have over 1000 names on it. It would take loads of paper and ink, and maybe I will just get lines on some A4 sheets, is there another way.
Is there any one who could provide this service.
Different parts of my family just want their relatives in some form of a tree, has any one done this or have any suggestions.
Any help gratefully received


InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Mar 2013 13:55

Gedcom is the name for a standardized file format which allows you to transfer genealogical data between different family tree programs and websites.

If you want to various print reports and charts in the way you describe you would be advised to obtain a family tree program such as Family Tree Maker for your PC. Once installed you would transfer your tree to it by means of a gedcom file and thwn use the programs charting facilities to produce customized reports for your family.


Dorothy Report 10 Mar 2013 14:21

Thank you for your information.
Regards Dorothy


Inky1 Report 10 Mar 2013 20:56


Contact 'Family Tree & Chart Printers' in Wolverhampton:- - to get their phone no.

In a nutshell, all you have to do is send a gedcom file & tell them what you want. Unlikely that they cannot meet your requirements.

They have large format and paper roll printers. I had a print done which is roughly 6ft wide by 2ft high. (A great talking point when framed and hung on the wall)

And if you really want to know what a .ged file looks like? Call out a Download, save it to your hard drive and open it with 'Notepad'.