Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation on Marriage Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Mar 2013 10:30

Good morning

I wonder if someone would be able to check an occupation for me please.

I saw a copy of a parish register at the library yesterday between Henry George Smith and Eliza Ann Jones (don't laugh). Marriage 15 November 1917. I think it says AB HH TB and Orphans/Orpheus - but looking again it could be HM TS - so would that be H.M. Training Ship Orpheus perhaps? Nothing seems relevant when I google so - any help deciphering would be appreciated.

Thank you

J-A

EDIT - moved from Find Ancestors Board - as not lost!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Mar 2013 10:34

.... I was just posting on that thread when you whooshed it!

J-A - what was his age, I'll take a look on the merchant seaman lists and see if that helps.

Gee

Gee Report 29 Mar 2013 10:46

It says 'HM' rather than 'HH' Orpheus

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Mar 2013 10:51

Is this him?

Merchant Navy Seamen 1835-1941

PrintClose
Last name: SMITH
First names: Henry George
Month of birth: November
Year of birth: 1897
Place of birth: Great Wakering
County/country of birth: Essex
Card type: CR10
Discharge number: 957093
Identity certificate no.: 302339
Series: BT350
Date range: 1918-1921

No details of ships he was on.

I think the document dates from 1918. Address was Albert Cottage, New Road, Great Wakering.

If it's your lad I'll send you the image as there's a photo of him.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Mar 2013 10:52

Sorry - you were really quick - it says he was 20 - but I am not so sure as I have him aged 12 in 1911 born 1899

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Mar 2013 10:56

No - he is one of the interminable Smiths on another lo-o-o-on-n-n-g thread that I have - but didn't put him there as he woudl be lost!

He was born in Bromley E (in 1911 at 8 Devas Street), unless the Wakering one has a father also called Robert William which will mess up everything!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Mar 2013 11:04

Agree he's a different one.

This looks like the baptism of yours but with his names reversed (often happens)

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906

Name: George Henry Smith
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 3 May 1899
Father's Name: Robert William Smith - labourer
Mother's name: Eliza Ann Smith
Parish or Poor Law Union: Bromley St Leonard St Mary
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Register Type: Parish Registers

Lived 6 Donald Street.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 29 Mar 2013 11:04

Description:Name Smith, Henry George
Official Number: J65784
Place of Birth: Bromley by Bow, Middlesex
Date of Birth: 15 December 1898

(not Merchant, but saw above)

Chris :)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-naval-seamen.htm

edits (looking at Baptism, probably not!)

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Mar 2013 11:07

Mmmm now I am thinking maybe he isn't mine - perhaps I have just picked on this one because lots of information fits - ie name, location, father, father occupation.

Think I will go and see if I can find any issue between Smith and Jones - see if they help.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Mar 2013 11:11

Nope - I claim him again with what you have found - because on 1901 he is George - Dad refers to him as Uncle George but the 1911 is Henry George (probably after HIS uncle).

Also Donald Street makes sense - think that is on another image I have seen - will go to look again

Thanks for the Baptism and naval seamen link

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 29 Mar 2013 11:13

This is from Wikipedia...

"HMS Orpheus was an M class destroyer launched in 1916. She was sold for scrap in 1921."

No other info given on there.

More details and a photo on this site

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/moon_class.htm#HMS Orpheus

Can't find any crew lists though :-(

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Mar 2013 11:19

Christina - thank you - that makes sense - I did google - but missed that 1916 one - found one before (1863 I think) and one in WW2. So that makes sense then.

He was a navy person - will have a look at the link.

On my previous post - Donald Street - one of his sisters in law has her address in Donald Street when she married (his older brother).

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Mar 2013 11:31

Had a quick look on FreeBMD - shockingly there are too many London Births for Smith with MMN Jones!

Still can put that on back burner as m at least I know what he was doing as a job when he got married (and wasn't quite 20)

Thanks to all for your help.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 31 Mar 2013 22:06

Sorry, back again.

Have just downloaded the couple of pages from National Archives (because I couldn't resist ) and thought I would just check out the GRO index for the birth.

But - found this oddity. Now he says he is Henry George, when I search FreeBMD for Henry George - no hits in Poplar, so I searched George Henry (baptism record shows that order) and get this/these for Poplar:

Births Mar 1899 (>99%)
Smith George Henry Poplar 1c 712

Births Jun 1899 (>99%)
SMITH George Henry Poplar 1c 620

So?, I hear you ask - and I reply "Why is the June birth registered as 1c 620 but the March birth is registered as 1c 712?"

Can I assume (!) that an amendment was made (in June Qtr on page 712) to the original entry (on page 620) but because the DOB /original registration was for the March Qtr the pages had to be swapped round? I cannot believe that it would be two different births.

J-A

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 31 Mar 2013 22:27

They may have a volume for each quarter?

As the name is so common (in the nicest possible sense:-) ), it's more than likely a George Henry Smith was born in each quarter.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 31 Mar 2013 22:34

Mmmmm, thank you, perhaps that is it. Looks very odd though.

J-A

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 31 Mar 2013 23:00

Births in Poplar seem to start in pages 500's of volume 1c in each quarter of 1899.

So I think it's just a case of having 4 separate books for the year.

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 31 Mar 2013 23:35

Christina (L) thanks for that information. Wonder what they did if they ran out of pages in one of their books during a quarter - unless they were loose-leaf.

Was just wandering about Tower Hamlets website - they used to have a search facility for their Registers (or some of them) but they seem to have changed their system.

Ah well, will just put it down to the surname and will leave George Henry/Henry George now - off to look for his sister!