Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Professional researchers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Bonnie Report 29 Apr 2013 09:52

How do I find/choose a professional researcher? Looking specifically for 1912 illegitate birth - location & parents known. The child was 'passed on' to another couple...
Any advice most welcome please :)


Reggie Report 29 Apr 2013 10:01

Be wary....

There is a very recent thread on here where the findings of a so-called researcher have been proved to be totally inaccurate. It took some time to convince the poster that his money had been wasted................

Have you looked for the birth on freebmd? Input the MMN in the appropriate box

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Apr 2013 10:39

They will only look at FreeBMD and or other sites that you can access yourself . Save yourself some money !


Cynthia Report 30 Apr 2013 11:47

New poster - friendly message on how to return to thread sent. :-)

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 30 Apr 2013 17:03

Cynthia, I'm not sure what you mean - that you have sent a friendly message, or that one should be sent? :-)

Hi Bonnie,
Before you go paying a professional researcher my advice would be to have a go with as Reggie has suggested. If you aren't experienced with using Freebmd and haven't found what you are looking for, why don't you post a few details on won't be long til some kindly GR member takes a look for you!


EDIT: When you say that the child was 'passed on' then that would infer the adoption was not done legally, in which case there would be no documentation. Adoption of this type was quite common in those days. With no paper trail, even a professional researcher is unlilkely to find out any more than GR members, since public records are just that, open to all. :-)


GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 30 Apr 2013 17:04

Post details on the find ancestry board and we will help you get under way.


Cynthia Report 1 May 2013 16:42

Hi Karen,

I mean that I have sent one of my messages to Bonnie to let her know how to find her thread again.

I've been doing it for years but have only just started to post the fact on the thread. It's just to let the helpers know that a message has been sent. :-D


Bonnie Report 6 May 2013 18:57

Thanks for your input/advice. I think I'm after a researcher for "the child's transfer"... ie, some type of adoption, maybe Methodist/charity source? I've been unable to trace the father's records since the birth document....almost like he used a false name, or maybe just emigrated (altho I've looked briefly into travel records too). Hmm.


MarieCeleste Report 6 May 2013 19:12

Hello Bonnie, as suggested why not go to the Find Ancestors board and post the details of what you're looking for? Give the details of the birth and the persons named. If you're not comfortable with posting those details you could invite people to contact you by pm (but really not recommended as that way you miss out on the wide range of research skills that people on here have). Some of us have access to worldwide sites which could possibly help.

As Karen states above there were no formal adoption records then, most arrangements were informal. There were sometimes arrangements made via solicitors but there would be no records of them.

To be honest, I don't think any of us on here would be happy recommending paid researchers after the results we've seen from many of them.