Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which software for family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flip

Flip Report 11 May 2013 18:55

Hi all,

I have 2 famity trees - yes it's complicated, can anyone recommend a software package to store them locally (and import them from GR with all the notes if possible) please?

Cheers
Flip

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 11 May 2013 22:05

Hi Flip

I use Family Tree Maker 2012 which allows you to manage multiple trees.

A colleague off a genealogy facebook page which I am involved in recommends Legacy which is free to download. I don't know if you can manage multiple trees on this. I will ask my friend and get back to you.

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 11 May 2013 23:15

Hi Flip

I've ask Persie, who is a user of Legacy and she says that it does support multiple trees.

To download your tree you will need to create a GEDCOM by selecting Export GEDCOM from under the Family Tree tab above. GR will then send it as a file to your email address.

Download this and open in the software of your choice. GEDCOM's are data only so no photographs will be downloaded. I am unsure whether or not your notes will be transferred.

Flip

Flip Report 12 May 2013 04:38

Hi TootyFruity,

I'll give Legacy a go, no harm in trying the free option first. I didn't realise there were any freebies ones out there.

Many thanks.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 May 2013 10:37

Although many people have FTM, several of us on GR have Family Historian. It will support as many trees as you want.

There is a good support site called FHUG (Family Historian User Group) which is easy and free to access. Some members write programmes to use with the commercial programme which you can download for free.

You can download a 30 day trial version of FH v5 here

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/?gclid=CLaUn_ugkLcCFRMftAodyTgAFQ

Upgrades are also available as free downloads until they eventually release new versions.

Flip

Flip Report 12 May 2013 11:41

Thanks for the info DetEcTive, I'll take a look at the FHUG site sound interesting.

I've just been playing around with Legacy, and it seems fine - uploaded both trees and all the data and notes are intact - which they weren't when I tried using Ancestry trees, most of the notes disappeared.

I have quite a lot of downloaded census records and scanned photos/certificates, but didn't want to start attaching them to my GR tree as they don't export in a gedcom file. Should keep me busy for a while!

Flip

Flip Report 17 May 2013 19:24

Well have tried the free Legacy version this week, but it won't allow attaching documents or PDFs unless I upgrade to the paid version.

So a pretty good free version for a lot of peope, but I've so many PDF's it would be unworkable (& expensive) to print and then scan them as photos in order to upload.

Just thought I'd report back in case anyone else is looking at what software to consider.

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 17 May 2013 20:15

thanks for the feedback Flip Shame it doesn't meet your needs.

There is another free software program on familysearch but I don't know anyone who has tried it.

Joy

Joy Report 18 May 2013 12:40

I have used the (free) PAF (Mormons ie familysearch) for several years but have no idea if one can attach anything.

https://familysearch.org/products

Persephone

Persephone Report 18 May 2013 13:01

I attach photos, and can attach documents if they are in jpeg or picture format on Legacy.

To attach PDF documents would be a lot harder, though you could use the snipping tool and snip items and save as pictures and then put them on there.

I know you can't send reports to another person unless you print them off and scan and send.. but you can snip and paste to a document.

Persie