Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cant work out if gentleman died or just left?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 17 May 2013 17:22

Finally found my great granny Genty on the 1911 census in a tent in Abersychan, S Wales. She was with her common law husband David Jenkins (she was calling herself Genty Jenkins) and their baby Celia. I know that by 1916 she was co-habiting with a Mr Smith so I was assuming that David died - but I cant find a death. The strange thing is that Celia seems to have vanished too, I can find no death. Now, one of Genty's other daughters (my grandma, who was born in 1924) is still alive, in her 80's, and she had no knowledge of Celia whatsoever...neither has Genty's nephew who I'm now in touch with. These people were all Romany gypsies and I assume David was as hes listed as a hawker (most gypsy men were hawkers or scrap metal dealers) although of course he may have been a settled person and just taken on the life of a gypsy after hooking up with my great granny's family. They had no marriage cert. Is there anything else I can do? Edit: Celia poss married Leonard Arthur Gwilliam in 1936 (if it's the same Celia), and had a baby named Celia..... I have traced this family and contacted them but none have replied.

patchem

patchem Report 17 May 2013 17:40

If you believe it is the same Celia who married Leonard, get the marriage certificate for more information? Might help to rule her out.

RStar

RStar Report 17 May 2013 17:41

Just ordered it :-) Thanks.

patchem

patchem Report 17 May 2013 17:47

Just putting that 1911 (Have you found Celia's death?)
1911 Wales Census
Genty Jenkins Age in 1911: 20 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Relation to Head: Wife Gender: Female
Birth Place: Tonbridge Wells, Kent, England
Civil Parish: Abersychan County/Island: Monmouthshire
Street Address: Nr Robin Hood Pontnewynydd
Marital Status: Married Years Married: 2
Estimated Marriage Year: 1909 Registration District: Pontypool
Registration District Number: 586
Sub-registration District: Pontypool
ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Household Schedule Number: 9 Piece: 31910
David Jenkins 24
Genty Jenkins 20
Celia Jenkins 10/12 Newport Mon.
Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 31910; Schedule Number: 9.

RStar

RStar Report 17 May 2013 17:52

Not found Celia's death.

patchem

patchem Report 17 May 2013 17:56

Presumably Leonard:
Leonard Arthur Gwilliam
Birth Date: 10 Nov 1907
Date of Registration: May 2002
Age at Death: 94
Registration District: Northampton
Inferred County: Northamptonshire
Register Number: C64B
District and Subdistrict: 6701C
Entry number: 96

RStar

RStar Report 17 May 2013 17:59

Oh! What a recent death, that's a real shame I hadn't known about Celia in 2002, I could have contacted Leonard :-( Thankyou.