Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's wrong with Manchester?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 18 Jun 2013 20:48

I couldn't decide if this was more suitable for General or Genealogy Chat so apologies to those who think it's on the wrong board.

My computer automatically logs me out of all websites when I shut down and so I enter GR by the general home page. The central picture displayed seems to depend on where my mouse is at the time but, lately, I always seem to begin on the one of the very depressed looking chap with the quote "What if this proves I'm actually from Manchester?! "

Up till now, I have found no family links to Manchester or anywhere nearby and have only a very general knowledge of the area and its history, so I wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to why coming from Manchester should be a cause for dismay. I did click on the "Find out more>>" link but was not enlightened.

It's actually not a very cheerful home page - I'd have liked to see the inclusion of someone illustrating that punching the air, yesss! moment many of us have been lucky enough to experience!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Jun 2013 16:29

I don't usually sign out, but have just done so to see what you are talking about.

I am none the wiser as the Home Page was full of people saying things like "I wish I'd asked about this before he died".

I agree, not very cheerful, but nothing about Manchester - or anywhere else.

Graham

Graham Report 19 Jun 2013 18:43

I saw one that said "I wonder where my hair came from". I wonder where mine went. :-)

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 19 Jun 2013 19:26

Andysmum - on my home page, prior to signing in, there are six photos. Hovering the mouse pointer over any one of them brings up an enlarged version in the centre of the group and a quote is shown. The Manchester one is on the bottom right labelled Family Legacy.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the home pages of Ancestry, FMP and Familysearch. Familysearch was definitely the jolliest!

:-D :-D @ Graham!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Jun 2013 22:43

I have just had another look and I see what you mean.

Perhaps the web designer had a bad experience in Manchester!!!

Kense

Kense Report 20 Jun 2013 08:41

I don't see anything derogatory about Manchester on that item.

The reason that the chap is upset is that he has discovered that something he took for granted in his family history was wrong, and that he has to start again on that thread.

Incidentally if you aren't signed into all the GR sites the there is no need to sign out to see the item, just click on a site that you don't use.

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 20 Jun 2013 18:54

KenSE - there is nothing specifically derogatory about Manchester there, but the reason for the chap's dismay is down to personal interpretation imo.