Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to Search the Doomsday Book?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 24 Jun 2013 11:15

I would like to see if there are similar surnames of my ancestors in the Doomsday Book and the same Counties.. Is there a way I can search it online?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 24 Jun 2013 11:22

Searchable by village/town name....

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/domesday/

The result for a particular village gave names of people mentioned within entire folio but to see the actual image there was a download charge.

Chris

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Jun 2013 11:24

Try this site

http://www.domesdaymap.co.uk/

It looks as if you can search through villages and counties rather than by surnames.

For instance
Place: Winterborne [Monkton]
Taxable units: Taxable value 6 geld units.
Value: Value to lord in 1086 £6. Value to lord c. 1070 £6.
Households: 4 villagers. 2 smallholders. 4 slaves.
Ploughland: 5 ploughlands (land for). 2 lord's plough teams. 2 men's plough teams.
Other resources: 4.5 lord's lands. Meadow 9 acres. Pasture 9 * 3 furlongs.
Livestock in 1086: 5 cows. 16 pigs. 105 sheep.
Lord in 1066: Wulfeva Beteslau.
Lord in 1086: Countess Ida of Boulogne.
Tenant-in-chief in 1086: Countess Ida of Boulogne.
Phillimore reference: 58,2

See larger image or on original page

As there is a reference to Phillimore, there may be a different version if you search for the reference on the internet

Graham

Graham Report 24 Jun 2013 13:15

http://www,doomsdaybook.co.uk
I put this link on your other thread before I saw this one ;-)

EDIT: IGNORE THIS (see below)

Kense

Kense Report 24 Jun 2013 15:07

That should be domesday, Graham
i.e.
http://www.domesdaybook.co.uk/

Graham

Graham Report 24 Jun 2013 17:08

oops! well spotted :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Jun 2013 17:28

I have a copy of the Domesday Book, with the places in both old and modern English. It has an index of place names, but not surnames, and is arranged in modern counties.

It does not cover the whole of England - Northumberland, Cumberland, Westmoreland, Lancashire and parts of Yorkshire are not included.

If you can be fairly precise about where your ancestors lived, I will see what I can find, if you want, but it's a bit like reading a dictionary!!

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 26 Jun 2013 17:32

Thanks for all the information.
@Andysmum - it would be great if you could possibly look for the surname "Martinge" in Devon and "Hills" in Bedfordshire

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jun 2013 22:53

I'll see what I can find. Have you any idea which bit of Devonshire?
It's a large county!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jun 2013 01:40

Caution ................

I looked at 3 or 4 villages that either my ancestors or OH's came from ....................

not a hope of finding any connection between names in say 1600 with those in the Domesday Book.

All the names showing in the Domesday Book were Norman or Saxon .........

............ by the 1600s (probably well before) names had been Anglicised!

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 27 Jun 2013 11:36

"Hills" was an Anglo-Saxon name, for my furtherest HILLS ancestor who was born in 1660 he, was born in Winteringham, Lincolnshire, England - My 11th great grandfather John Knight was born near Kempston, Bedfordshire, England circa 1571. It is specifically unsure where my 13th great grandfather, Edwarde Martinge was born but he resided in Feniton, Devon, England

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Jun 2013 14:45

Following on from what Sylvia has said, there are very few names at all. At the beginning of each county is a list of all the landowners. Some are Norman and some Saxon, but none of the lesser folk are named.

I looked at Feniton for you and this is what it says:-

Drogo holds Finetone from the Count. Eadmaer held it TRE and it paid geld for 3 hides. There is land for 6 ploughs. There are 8 villans and 4 bordars and 2 slaves, and 15 acres of meadow, and 100 acres of pasture and 6 acres of woodland. Formerly £4, now it is worth 40s.

Glossary:- TRE - before the Conquest
Villans, Bordars and Slaves are the villagers, in descending order of social importance.
Hide is notionally the amount of land which would support 1 household.

The other places are mentioned, but the content is similar.

Thelma

Thelma Report 27 Jun 2013 20:40

Place name: Feniton, Devon
Folio: 105r Great Domesday Book
Domesday place name: Finetone
People mentioned within entire folio: Aethelmaer; Alsige; Alvred the butler; Alweard; Alwig Tabb; Alwine; Drogo; Dunning; Eadgifu; Eadmaer; Eadmaer Atule; Eadric; Erchenbald; Hamelin; Hugh; Mauger de Carteret; Ordwulf; Ottar; Reginald de Vautortes; Richard; Richard fitzTurold; Saewulf; Sister of Ordwulf; Swet; Thegns of Ordwulf; Wada; William de Lestre

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jun 2013 00:43

:-D I have Baggotts from Suffolk - looks like they were originally Bigots!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2013 01:00

:-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2013 01:01

I couldn't match up any of the names from the Domesday Book with any of the later names that I had!

JohnDoe

JohnDoe Report 28 Jun 2013 07:52

Thank you all for the assistance. I will have to look into tracing back to the 1400s before hitting the doomsday book