Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tip of the day...Renewal time

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 24 Jun 2013 11:17

Companies of all types spend a great deal of money advertising their services and wares. They do so hoping that we will be tempted and we will end up buying those wares or subscribing in order to use those services. Having "Landed" us, the companies are obviously keen to retain us as a customer who continues to pay them.

In the case of someone who has purchased an annual subscription, shortly before the subscription runs out, the company will notify the customer that subscription renewal will become due on a certain date. Nowadays that reminder is most likely to be via an email which goes on to say that the customer need not take any action as the company will automatically take the funds using the credit/debit card details the company already holds for the customer. The renewal subscription cost quoted will almost inevitably be the full current cost, I.E. exactly what a new subscriber would have to pay.

Now if you are flush with cash and someone who likes a simple life this is fine, just sit back and do nothing. If however you are someone who perhaps isn't quite so flush and who doesn't mind making a telephone call, then now is the time to act. Ring the company and ask for a "Loyalty" discount. Whether you do this in the form of a simple request, "Do I qualify for a loyalty discount." or as a threat, "I will not renew unless you give me a loyalty discount." is up to you. What I would say is that whatever your approach, always be polite as that is most likely to get you the best result. As I said earlier, companies are always keen to retain you as a customer and you may be pleasantly surprised by what some companies are prepared to do in order to achieve that.

One of my annual genealogy subscriptions was to become due for renewal this week so yesterday afternoon I rang the company (Freephone No) and simply asked whether there was a possibility of a discount. Without any delay or argument I was instantly given a 25% discount worth £39. Not a bad result for spending 2 minutes on the phone.

May you have similar good luck.

Gai

Gai Report 24 Jun 2013 11:46

Well said Jonesey.

I don't know what the situation is in the UK but here in Oz you can save a lot of money shopping around for insurance, telephone, internet, electricity and health funds.

I know my own situation a couple of years back when our car insurance came in for our son's car. The bill $2,795 for the year so I rang the company we had our green slip insurance with and the same policy $997.00 so I then rang the current insurance company to cancel the insurance and why I told them the cost of the insurance by their competitor they said they would match it. So I told them thanks but no thanks and went with the new company.

Renes

Renes Report 24 Jun 2013 21:07

Thank you Jonesey ....

Have just cheked all my renewal dates .... And diaried them

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Jun 2013 22:24

Our house insurance, with a well known company, increases each year by over 50%. A few years ago, the first time it happened, I rang to ask why.

I was told that as a loyal customer with no claims I could have a discount. The premium was reduced to within £2.00 of the previous year's!!!

This happened each year and the third time I rang I was actually told that I should ring every year. Most people don't bother, so those who do can get a discount.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Jun 2013 07:48

;-) ;-) :-D

Joy

Joy Report 26 Jun 2013 22:18

:-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 27 Jun 2013 16:54

We always ring about insurance premiums and such like but it has only recently occurred to me to ask about the genealogy subs. A couple of months ago one became due so I thought I'd give it a try. I politely said I would like to renew but was having to watch the pennies a bit and asked if there were any discounts available to me. Like Jonesey I was immediately given 25% off my sub. As he says it's well worth five minutes of your time on the phone.

Andrew

Andrew Report 27 Jun 2013 20:08

I recently renewed House Insurance. Existing company had shot up to a staggering £75 per month. A bit of research and I got the same cover for £29 pm.

Andy