Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exchange rate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 Jul 2013 17:04

My extremely cheap membership of FMP is about to expire & I´ve been offered renewal at 59.95 dollars.
What´s the current exchange rate with either sterling or Euro please?

jax

jax Report 14 Jul 2013 17:18

Is that the US site?

I think I have tried to use mine once in the last year

approx. £40

Inky1

Inky1 Report 14 Jul 2013 17:30

Not sure why you ask for both? What currencey is your card in?

Anyway, just go to any foreign exchange website. For each currency add together the latest buy & sell rates then divide by two. Reason for that is that most card providers use a moneymarket rate, which is somewhere in the middle of the tourist buy & sell rates.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Jul 2013 17:39

I'm in the same boat, wisechild. I've been offered the renewal at $59.95. Regular price is $199.95 so it's a very good deal. However I've hardly used it over the past year so can't decide whether to renew or cancel.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 14 Jul 2013 17:53

Margee,
An interesting comment. One wonders why there is such a large discount off the regular price? Could it be that in these austere times the renewal rate has dropped off more than Brightsolid had hoped for?

jax

jax Report 14 Jul 2013 17:56

Its rubbish... it was approx. the same price last year when it first came out

It is the US site not UK

Not even sure if it has anything to do with brightsolid?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 14 Jul 2013 18:02

Looking at the bottom of the FMP.co.uk loadpage shows FMP US, plus one for Eire and one for Australia/ New Zealand.

FMP US comes up for me as FMP.com. Subsciption page shows for 12months USD 60 (12 x 5) for US info and USD 199.92 (12 x 16.66) for World info.

jax

jax Report 14 Jul 2013 18:06

Yeah it has got something to do with Brightsolid.....not sure what though

Just logged in, surprised I remembered my password :-D

Some may find it useful...I prefer the UK site even though it is more expensive

To join last July was $59.40

If you don't want to renew make sure auto renew is off

Inky1

Inky1 Report 14 Jul 2013 18:18

Wisechild and Margee.

Is the renewal rate of USD59.95 for World info, or just for US info?

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 14 Jul 2013 18:35

The $59.95 renewal is for worldwide info. The site records are fine but the search engine is pretty useless making it difficult to find exactly what you are looking for.

I won't be renewing my subscription I'm afraid as although more expensive, Ancestry Worldwide is a lot easier to use.

jax

jax Report 14 Jul 2013 18:46

Looks like they have changed they way you search? so could be worth having

Put in my grandfathers name nothing else (only one person ever born with that name)

got birth, marriage, death and census easier to read as well.....but still will not renew as I do not need it as have FMP UK and Ancestry WW

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Jul 2013 21:33

The email that I received offering the $59.95 renewal had this at the bottom:

"This email has been sent by brightsolid online publishing US Inc. Registered in Delaware, Registered offices: Corporation Trust Center, 1209 Orange Street, Wilmington, DE 19801, USA. "

Susan

Susan Report 15 Jul 2013 05:52

I had the same offer . $59.95.

I found the site good and easy to use :-D

Sue

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Jul 2013 11:11

Have renewed today.My bank charged a bit last year .Total £40.46
This year I anticipate slightly more.
Difficult to understand why people would rather pay the full price.
Buy FTM 2012 from Amazon to get Ancestry on the cheap.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=ftm+2012&sprefix=ftm+2012%2Caps%2C306

wisechild

wisechild Report 15 Jul 2013 11:30

Thanks everyone.
That´s the same price as last year & although I didn´t use it very much, it was useful for the info I can´t get from Ancestry (can´t afford Worldwidwide), so will renew.
Didn´t find it particularly difficult to navigate, especially when compared with Familysearch.
Incidentally, I asked for the conversion rate in 2 currencies because I have both a sterling & a euro account.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2013 05:41

I got that cheap deal last July ................. never really managed to find anything of any use.

so out it goes!!

Thanks, Jax, for reminding to check that auto-renew is off :-D

I believe that I'll get much more on what I need in the US, more easily from ancestry.

This one wasn't worth the effort

but I haven't yet received a renewal email