Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a registration of a stillbirth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 29 Nov 2013 18:28

A friend of my wife is just divorced from her husband. He registered their 1st child's stillbirth in 1987, she has asked me to get a copy of the birth & death certificate. I cannot find it with name and date given. I can find her marriage and 3 living children. Is there another record list for stillbirths? She is not on speaking terms with her husband, who did the registrations. As the divorce was based on his violence to her I cannot see her being able to get the info from him! Anybody can help?

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 29 Nov 2013 19:11

have you tried looking in the next quarter in the indexes . If the dates were towards the end of one quarter, it could have been registered in the next.
Jan x

jax

jax Report 29 Nov 2013 19:19

If it was a still birth, then it wouldn't be found online

There is a separate register, but don't now how you can access it

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Nov 2013 19:26

Think the cert can only be ordered by parents.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Nov 2013 19:28

Still births were a separate register

Try contacting the GRO. For info .

Only a parent has access to the records so she should be able to get the info

patchem

patchem Report 29 Nov 2013 19:38

From a search;

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/civilreg.html

'Current GRO policy on obtaining stillbirth certificates: "Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering a certificate of the entry differs from other types of certificates. We will only send out the application form after we have been contacted by phone or in writing by the mother or father (if he is named on the certificate). In cases where the parents are deceased, a brother or sister can apply if they can provide their parents' dates of death."'

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 29 Nov 2013 21:05

Thank you everyone, I have printed off the GRO contact phone number and address and my wife is txting as I type. Very pleased it is open on a Saturday so the mum can call them tomorrow and request her child's record.

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 2 May 2014 17:53

For all those that helped just to pass on mine/her thanks. My wifes friend got her childs certificate many months ago and has helped her alot in rememberance of her child.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 May 2014 21:50

I hope it fetches her some sort of closure Andy, after a difficult time.