Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ROYAL HIBERNIAN INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

murjef

murjef Report 7 Jun 2014 02:06

Does anyone have knowledge of The Royal Hibernian Industrial School also named The Duke of York Military School .It was in operation around 1890-1905. Was it in any way connected to the Workhouse or Court system? The only information I have found seems to indicate it was for the sons of deceased soldiers. How would a child gain access if he was not the son of a deceased soldier?, and where there any schools in or around Lancashire during in that time period?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jun 2014 05:15

have you tried Google???

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jun 2014 05:25

I found the following by googling ................

it seems that the correct name is the Royal Hibernian Military School, and that it developed from a school for poor and destitute children of soldiers who were serving abroad, or who had died on active service.

The original school was built with funds collected by a charitable organisation and opened in 1765 in the Phoenix Park, Dublin. A hospital was built in 1767, and the two buildings became known as the Institution of the Hibernian Society.

In the early years, the institution resembled something of an industrial school. .............. girls carried out the traditional duties of domestic work and clothes making, while boys worked in the garden and learned trades useful to make a living.

By 1808, the school's organisation closely followed its sister school, the Duke of York's Royal Military School (then at Chelsea, London, England).

In 1922 the Royal Hibernian Military School moved to Shorncliffe, in Folkestone, Kent and in 1924 it was merged with the Duke of York's Royal Military School which, by then, was in its current location on the top of 'Lone Tree Hill' above Dover Castle.

murjef

murjef Report 7 Jun 2014 18:07

Am I correct in thinking that the only two locations were Dublin and Chelsea? Perhaps on the Genes Reunited Military chat site I may find out a little more information. Boy in question joined Liverpool Regiment on graduation but was not son of soldier. Notation of school was found on his army recruitment record.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Jun 2014 19:32

Hello murjef - it's basically the same people helping on Military Chat board as it is on here.

Extensive information on the Hibernia and Duke of York schools here

http://www.achart.ca/hibernian/index.html

Follow the links on the left hand side of that site.

Why not tell us the person you're researching and we may be able to offer more specific help?

murjef

murjef Report 7 Jun 2014 21:24

Thanks for all the information, It is actually the school I am researching as I already know what happened to the boy. I was just wondering what type of school it was and where about in the Country it was located.