Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Our forefathers - WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 5 Aug 2014 11:17

After a bit of family genealogy searching - I know that my grandparents were all from very large families, and faced great hardship and poverty. Wars, workhouses, no free medical care or paid holidays and slave wages. With that in mind I have wanted to salute them all and pay my respects somehow. Last night I joined a very small group who walked from the market place to the vicarage, then lit candles, said prayers for the all those effected by the war, and for world peace. A few minutes silence - and that was it. Tonight lights will go out all over Europe and candles will be placed in windows. Mine will be a tribute to all our forefathers who suffered such hardship - and managed to raise families against all the odds. They are not forgotten.