Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Questions for Anthony Adolph

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Genes Advisor Report 24 Feb 2015 13:59

Hi everyone,

Please post your questions for Anthony Adolph below.


Genes Reunited


Ione Report 28 Feb 2015 17:49

I am having a lot of problems with tracing family members such as my great grand father because all the names are either Roberts or Griffiths and in Wales that is like Smith or Brown. I know my Gt Grandfather was born in 1834 in Llangwynfor Cardiganshire and died in 1903 in Cardiff, I have been told there are no records for him. I think I'm going to cancel my membership because my health is not good and I can't get any further. Can You help.

thank you

Ine Holbourne :-D

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 28 Feb 2015 18:15

lone I'm not sure when Anthony is next due to work for GR but if you post the details you will get plenty of help from other members


SylviaInCanada Report 1 Mar 2015 01:28


Anthony usually only answers questions once a month .............

so, as Claire said, you would do much better to post your question on the Find Ancestors Board

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 4 Mar 2015 16:35

Thanks Ione,

Your post has been sent to Anthony. Please await his response.




Arthur Report 4 Mar 2015 19:35

I have a problem with my family (Newell)they appear I n the 1851 census and go missing in the 1861 and 1871 census they appear again in the 1881 census any ideas..?
Arthur Newell


SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2015 20:14

mis-spellings of their name??

Have you made allowance for that?

putting in too much information, or exact birth years can also result in "lost" ancestors.


MargaretM Report 4 Mar 2015 22:12

Try just using first names, especially if they had children, use the child's first name, year and place of birth and the parents' first names. As Sylvia says the surname was possibly mistranscribed or mis-spelled.

OR check immigration records to see if they emigrated and then returned.


GlitterBaby Report 4 Mar 2015 22:24


No idea how AA is going to sort out the post on 28 Feb as I think the place name should be Llangwyryfon and there is a possible Roberts and Griffiths on 1851 census

So I presume AA will have to contact the poster


Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 6 Mar 2015 11:34

Hi Ione,

Anthony's response:

Tracing ancestors with very popular surnames such as Roberts or Griffiths in Wales can be very difficult, so it is important to take a very methodical, step-by-step approach, finding out as much about each generation as possible using the available records before attempting to go further back. In this case, I assume you have found your great grandfather in the censuses, but if you have not yet sought him in each census, I would advise doing so. The 1841 and maybe the 1851 census too may list him with his parents (or even his grandparents as well), and this will get you a bit further back. Also, seek a reference to his marriage and obtain the marriage certificate, as this will confirm his father's name and occupation. You can do all this searching on Genes Reunited. Then, you will need to search the Cardiganshire parish registers, having worked out first where Llangwynfor actually is - the appearances of your great grandfather in the 1841 and 1851 censuses should help work that out.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 6 Mar 2015 17:53

Lone, Cardiganshire is now know as Ceredigion and I think the place you're looking for is Llangwyryfon which is a village near Aberystwyth.


Cynthia Report 6 Mar 2015 20:20

Shelley, do these new posters know how to return to their questions?


GlitterBaby Report 6 Mar 2015 23:02

Shame that AA or Shelley did not read my reply on 4th March as I gave the correct spelling of the place unless AA knows different ???

Did AA actually ask the poster how they knew where the Gt Grandfather was born ?

Did AA ask who had died in 1903 and had they got the cert etc?

The helpers can do better !!!!!!

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 6 Mar 2015 23:18

As I've said before,I'm not too impressed with AA's responses to queries. However, it's not his job to actually search, just to give advice.

Let people search for themselves. There's too much rushing on here to get the answer quickly and all from online records - there's more out there. It's much more satisfying to find things yourself, even if you struggle


SylviaInCanada Report 7 Mar 2015 16:24

Cyn ................

I doubt they know :-)


Robert Report 8 Mar 2015 15:11

How do I get onto the census


SylviaInCanada Report 8 Mar 2015 19:38

Robert .......

much better to have asked that on genealogy Chat .......... you'd get a much faster reply :-)

Remember that for all future such questions

Go to Search at the top Right

Click on it

Then choose what you want ...... all censuses, or specific ones.

Some censuses are available free on other sites, as are bmd (birth marriage and death) registrations from July 1 1837 to ca 1970.