Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM file

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 27 Jun 2015 16:28

I have an extensive family tree from 15 years of research which I have in a GEDCOM file format. Is it possible to load this into my Genes Reunited family tree.

I made many contacts through this website in the past but have had no new contacts for many years. I thought the above might kick start new contacts

Regards

Andy Parker

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jun 2015 16:32

It is theoretically possible to load a GEDCOM into your GR tree.

Hover over "Family Tree" at the top of this page, and you'll see "Import GEDCOM".
That takes you to this page:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/gedcomimport

However, I know some people have had trouble importing, and it may depend on just how extensive your tree is.

Still, no harm in trying!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jun 2015 21:28

There are numerous threads on here about the major problems encountered when trying to load Gedcoms to this site

As for contacts............why not look in search trees and initiate some.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jun 2015 23:38

If you already have a tree on this site, the new version will over-write it.

Kense

Kense Report 28 Jun 2015 07:22

I think it is an overstatement to say there are major problems using GEDCOMs on this site.

I have transferred my tree via GEDCOM from Ancestry twice without any major problem. Its size is about 3500. I know IGP has been doing that for much longer, without major problems, and has a much bigger tree.

The only problem for me was when the GEDCOM program stopped working on GR and that just took a quick contact to support and it was restarted.

There are always slight incompatibilities between different programs using GEDCOMs as each has their own additions to or variiations from the standard, (which is rather limited these days).

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 28 Jun 2015 08:01

I'm only going by the threads I have seen.

I haven't imported a file myself

Andrew

Andrew Report 28 Jun 2015 21:44

Thank you for the information and observations regarding downloading my GEDCOM file. I will give it a try.

Regards

Andy Parker