Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Member trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 28 Jun 2015 00:01

I found a post on the members trees, that is possibly the right family. Now I have the name and member number of the person who posted the info, is it possible to search for other names they have posted in members trees to see if any match mine before I send them a message.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jun 2015 06:54

Not quite sure what you mean. But you can look in search members trees which is located under the Search heading above the boards

You have to put in one name at a time to do the search .

Nicola

Nicola Report 28 Jun 2015 19:34

Thanks that answers my question.
I thought maybe there was a way to search a member by their member number to see all the people they had attached to their tree. I was looking for a short cut to entering each family member in my tree and searching in member trees for the same member name and number to appear. Will send a message instead.
Thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2015 21:56

nope

nothing so easy!!

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Jun 2015 03:37

Nicola - what you would like would really short-circuit the privacy of members' trees, so it pretty much has to be this way.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Jun 2015 09:35

Entering info to your own tree without verifying it yourself is foolhardy.

Much wiser to do your own research, and add to your tree only info which you KNOW to be accurate

Nicola

Nicola Report 30 Jun 2015 21:53

Thanks for the replies. I totally understand about the privacy of members and that any info I gather from other source's is by no means accurate. It was only that I would rather not bother anyone with a private message, until I was at least half way sure there was some connection.

Hugh

Hugh Report 9 Jul 2015 05:00

Simply send a request to view their tree ! Then you can see the lot.

Nicola

Nicola Report 9 Jul 2015 22:09

I don't seem to have much luck with getting a reply to a question about an individual from Member trees.I have tried many times and rarely get a reply.Will take your advise and just ask to view tree instead.
Thanks for your replies.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jul 2015 22:32

Hmm - if someone sent me a 'please can I view your tree' message, I'd want to know why.
It would be more polite if you briefly added the names -who, when and where - of the people you are interested in.

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Jul 2015 22:48

It's not a good idea to just send a message to someone asking to see their tree. Always add your own message explaining why you think there might be a connection and ask if the tree owner would be prepared to help you out and/or share information about possible relatives.

Keep a look out in your "out" box to see if the envelope gets opened and you will know if the message has been read at the other end.

Even then, you might not necessarily get a reply for a variety of reasons.

Some people just want to build and store a tree on GR, some may no longer be members but their tree remains on site, some have died and some would be upset at getting a message out of the blue asking them to open their tree for no apparent reason.

It's frustrating not getting an answer but unfortunately no-one is obligated to do so. Many people will help having established a positive link ,but having spent time and effort building and confirming a tree - correctly hopefully - don't want to open it up entirely.

Good hunting...........

Nicola

Nicola Report 10 Jul 2015 00:00

I have never asked to view someone tree out right,I have always asked about the person I am interested in,often with no reply.
It was just that Hugh suggested it.
Thanks for your replies, I will carry on searching and be patient.