Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry in libraries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 26 Aug 2015 08:58

Hello all,
I use to be a paid member on ancestry, if I go to the library would I still be able to work on my tree from there.
Many thanks,
Anne

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 26 Aug 2015 09:09

Hi Anne,
Ancestry Library edition is a stand alone programme.
Although you can access all the records, you need to search for them individually as you cannot work on it directly from your Ancestry tree.

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 26 Aug 2015 09:15

I will need to go prepared then with the information that I will be looking for on that day. Maybe thats better so I dont go wandering of into different parts of the tree.
Anne

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Aug 2015 09:41

You ought to be able to sign in to your account via their internet connection.

From the individuals profile page, you ought to be able to see what events you already have via the timeline.
Eg
Residence 1881 Age: 3 Shoreditch, London, England

As you no longer subscibe, the actual attached sources/records/images won't be visible.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Aug 2015 15:59

Also, I think Ancestry Library Edition is not nearly as comprehensive as the one you subscribe to.

I found lots of info on censuses, but once I started looking for other things, like probate records, I found they were unavailable.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Aug 2015 16:49

According to another thread, Ancestry is free this BH weekend 28th - 31st Aug

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Aug 2015 16:54

The Probate Calendar from 1858 is free to search and use on https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Using Ancestrys free search result - if there is one - helps with the manual search. They are indexed according to the year Probate was granted. Ancestry do it by the year of death.

mgnv

mgnv Report 26 Aug 2015 18:22

My local library lets me have two 1-hr PC sessions per day, and there's a timer which shuts me down, so I always allow 5 min at end to email what I've found to myself.
There's a couple of things I do first.
Go to the start button - all programs - accessories - right click on notepad (or windows wxplorer). I can open them or create shortcuts to paste on my desktop.

Notepad is a very primitive word processor - I copy Ancestry transcriptions and hits, and paste them into notepad.

Windows explorer is a file and folder explorer - I can look at the files I've created (images, etc. I've downloaded into the library's "download" folder) and double-click on them to open them, etc. One really useful thing I can do is highlight a group of files, right-click on that group to check properties (size really), then right click again and "send to" a compressed (zipped) folder. This really helps emailing them - I just have one (zipped) attachment, not 20 unzipped ones. I usually limit the zipped size to 15MB or so - if I've much more, I make another zipped file.
I also save my notepad .txt transcriptions & notes file then email it to myself.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 27 Aug 2015 08:52

At my library in Surrey I can also get free access to FMP and British Newspapers although in fact I have a subscription for both to use at home since I do a lot of research and going to the library is inconvenient.

I suggest you access FMP and Ancestry at home search for information like BMDs (which you will not be able to access) print or note the entries then when at the library you know exactly what you are looking for and do not waste valuable time

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 28 Aug 2015 15:26

Thankyou all,
Just another quick question. this weekend I am searching on ancestry via their site. Would all images go to my FTM when I syn the files.
Anne