Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stoddart/Morris/Junkin families Portglenone, NI

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mervyn

Mervyn Report 27 Nov 2015 13:13

I’m hoping someone can help me, please?

I’ve been trying to find the family of Walterina Mary Stoddart (born c1931). Her mother, also Mary, remarried William Morris, and the family were located at Tynaee, Portglenone, in 1947. Walterina (aka Rena) also had a sister named Joan - born July 1933 / died 2009 in Belfast.

Given that Walterina Mary is a fairly unusual pairing of given names, I was indebted to a forum member who referred me to a burial at St Tida’s Bellaghy, Co. Derry
http://www.discovereverafter.com/plot/6253

Try as I might, I am unable to find any meaningful results. If anyone can prove this is the same Walterina I would be most grateful, and also for any details of Mary Stoddart’s second marriage to William Morris (as well as Walterina’s birth record). Northern Ireland’s records seem particularly hard to access!

Thank you for your interest and hope to hear from you.

Regards, Mervyn Cochrane.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 28 Nov 2015 12:08

A Walterina Mary Junkin is listed on the 2002 electoral register living in Carrickfergus, County Antrim. It may be worth writing to the address, or neighbours to see if they can pass on your letter to living relatives who may be able to tell you more.

Ireland Births 1864-1958 Transcription
First name(s) Robert Marshall
Last name Junkin
Registration year 1917
Registered quarter/year Jul - Sep 1917
Registration district Magherafelt
Volume 1 Page 566
Country Ireland
--------------------------------------

There are a couple of private trees on Ancestry with Robert Marshall Junkin that may be worth contacting.

A member on Genesreunited (Margaret) has a Walterina Stoddart listed in their tree.
------------------------------------------------

You can search NI bmd here:
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Potty

Potty Report 28 Nov 2015 12:41

Unfortunately there are time restrictions on searching NI bmds on the site AustinQ has posted: births less than 100 years, marriages 75 and deaths 40. Eire records contain NI until 1920 (partition) and those are on Ancestry and familysearch. but neither very useful for the period Mervyn is looking at.

Gee

Gee Report 28 Nov 2015 13:04

Take a look here

http://www.discovereverafter.com/plot/6253

Edit: Ooops, you already posted that!

Mervyn

Mervyn Report 29 Nov 2015 15:12

Many thanks for all your input.

AustinQ, I can't work out how you're getting a member 'hit' with Walterina Stoddart and I can't. Can you please tell me what details you're entering into the search? I used her known year of birth (1931) +/- 20yrs with no place of birth and still got nothing. Does it make a difference where your GR account is registered? I didn't think so, but as we're not seeing the same results.......

The same goes for Robert Junkin. I've searched with a 10 year +/- variance on 1925 (covering your 1917 birth record) but I only get the one hit - tree member John Junkin, with whom I've already attempted to make contact but (sadly) am yet to receive a reply. As you implied, I think a one month subscription to Ancestry may be in order to access their members records too.

Any other thoughts that come to mind will be most appreciated.

Best regards, Mervyn

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Nov 2015 15:28

If you just put the name Walterina Stoddart into the Search all Trees the only one that comes up is Margaret.

With a name as unusual as that, it is better to put in as little information as possible.