Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing brother and fathers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda Elizabeth Nancy

Linda Elizabeth Nancy Report 8 Jul 2016 14:43

i have found out I have a brother who was put up for adoption ,father unknown, and I myself have a birth father name unknown from Harrogate area whom already had a family.mother lived at a farm in Adel .Leeds and was already married to someone else at the time .I found the home that took my brother but they can.t do anything as I don't have a correct name for him at birth. Is this a lost cause.....

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2016 15:10

Maybe I'm missing something, You share the same mother? or you think you share the same father by different mothers?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jul 2016 15:48

Look for births in the correct period and area using your mother's maiden name and her husband's surname.
If the birth was registered correctly, it should give the mother's name as eg Mrs Bloggs formerly Jones.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ to c1966, or subscription sites to 2006

You may have to order various certificates to make sure you're on the right track

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jul 2016 16:09

If he is father unknown then you must share the same mum
Have you looked for a birth using your mums surname

As you have found you have a brother then you must have been given some info !?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Jul 2016 09:10

Was your brother born before or after you? I think I see twin girls, then you 2 years later and then another daughter 2 years after you.

Rose

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Jul 2016 16:56

Welcome to the boards, Linda.

PM sent to let Linda know there are replies, and how to answer, as she's a new poster.

Linda Elizabeth Nancy

Linda Elizabeth Nancy Report 28 Jul 2016 18:37

I had 2 sisters(twins) born 1952. I was born 1954 as far as I know a brother born approx. 1958/9.im not aware of a sister born after 1954,mother has dementia and she said a few things but I always thought I had a different father anyway.same mother but different fathers.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jul 2016 18:50

but his reg would still be in her surname with the cross refs to maiden name, the same as your self and your sisters

Linda Elizabeth Nancy

Linda Elizabeth Nancy Report 26 Aug 2016 20:18

rose. thankyou for your help. mother said I had a brother born after me confused now. I don't know my birth fathers surname only his first name peter and he had a brother john.i have no name for my brother who born to a different father but same mother as me. all I found out he was adopted through little sisters of the poor,headingley leeds.his name could be david.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Aug 2016 09:04

Linda,

If you look on FreeBMD for Johnson births with the mother's maiden name of Teal/Teale you will see there's a possible daughter born in 1956.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

There is a David Johnsen born in South Shields but there are some other Johnsen/Teale births in that area too.

Rose

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 27 Aug 2016 17:18

I know you're looking for a younger sibling but there is a 1946 Johnson/ Teale male birth in Leeds, He is also registered with the surname Noble

linda

linda Report 10 Feb 2018 08:28

still searching,it was all hush hush,I have two names under Johnson. a Christine and a david mother maiden name teal.lived in adel until 1954,no idea where we lived after adel mill farm.mother will not say.i was burnt at a house in 1956 still mother wont say where.arghh.

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Feb 2018 09:40

I don't see a death for Christine thru 1966.
If neither you nor the twins remember Christine, then maybe it was her that got adopted rather than some brother I can't find a trace of.

patchem

patchem Report 10 Feb 2018 14:21

Any of your Mother's siblings still alive (or have you older cousins) who may have some information?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Feb 2018 23:42

Hi Linda, just a tip about using this site.

You cancelled the account you had in 2016 and created a new one.

The problem is that if someone related sees your message in future, or sees related names in your family tree when they search, they won't be able to contact you if you delete your account.

All you need to do is leave your account dormant (cancel payment, not the account). Then if someone contacts you, you will be able to reply to them even if not paid up.

Also, click "Watch this" at the top of the thread and you should get email notifications if anyone replies here ... if you keep your email address up to date in your account!

Good luck.