Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry DNA kit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 25 Nov 2016 22:16

I've ordered one as they have an offer on..

Just wondering if the kit has a use-by-date? :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Nov 2016 00:03

After searching for an answer on Google it seems that when you open the kit there should be a use by date on it somewhere. Seems they last for quite a while though.

Hopefully someone else can give you a more definite answer.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2016 05:35

i have one ,delivered last week but not used as yet as i have a cold !!

its a sealed unit and doesnt have any expiry dates on it

lavender

lavender Report 26 Nov 2016 20:43

Thank you both! xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Nov 2016 15:11

well this morning i was all go to do the test. Did it first thing as you have to have at least a 30 mins gap from any eating or drinking Thus includes teeth cleaning !! Found it a bit of a job because I get up with a dry mouth

I registerd it with the ancestry BUT am a bit ???? as it wanted to connect me on the family tree. a search of my tree will show my paternal granddads family was German

Feel a bit ??? As they can look in my tree and see the German side so wonder if they cheat a bit with the results

Being of a bit of a suspicious mind I am wondering how genuine the results will
:-(

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Dec 2016 02:25

Sadly, the results will be nonsense anyway. :-)

The results tell you something (well, something) about your autosomal DNA (atDNA).

They don't tell you anything about your *Ancestors*.

The atDNA you get from each parent is random, and the atDNA they got from their parents was random.

For instance, you might get a whole lot of your mother's father's atDNA and not much of her mother's ... and vice versa for your father. And each of them might have got a whole lot of their grandfathers' atDNA and not much of their grandmothers'.

Ancestry is simply deceitful when it touts these tests as telling you where you came from.

It tells you where your atDNA came from, sort of kind of.

If we all got the same atDNA from our parents, we and all our siblings would be identical. And each of our parents would be clones of their siblings.

Very likely if your brother or sister tested, their results would be quite different from yours.

What atDNA can be useful for is finding cousins. And working with them, you may be able to trace ancestors you might otherwise not have found, that is, by figuring out who your common ancestor couple are.

atDNA is not going to tell you where your ancestors were from!

But no, they don't snoop into your family tree to get clues to your ancestry. :-)

The results are purely from the DNA and the way Ancestry itself defines various elements of it and interprets your autosomal DNA.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Dec 2016 06:28

That's very interesting , thanks

Hope I haven't wasted my money then as it wasnt cheap :-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 2 Dec 2016 10:34

On the Ancestry website this morning with the 10% discounted offer of £71 :-

" Reveal where your ancestors came from
When your results arrive, you’ll see a breakdown of your ethnicity, revealing your ethnic mix from the past 500-1000 years. Then you can start learning about the places where your family story began.
See all 26 ethnic regions covered by the AncestryDNA test.
Connect with relatives you never knew you had.
Once you've taken your test, we'll search our global network of AncestryDNA members and identify the people who share your DNA. There's no limit to what you might discover—together. "

Does all that mean one gets a list of 'sharing members' from Ancestry? If not, what does it mean?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Dec 2016 10:50

"people who share your DNA"

... well, basically, the entire human species shares almost all of your DNA :-)

I'm not an expert on AncestryDNA. But I believe it means you will get a list of other users with significant matches.

As I just mentioned in this thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1363458

Family Tree DNA

https://www.familytreedna.com/

currently has its holiday sale on, with the autosomal DNA test (called 'Family Finder at that company), the same as Ancestry's test, offered at $59 USD which is £48.

A lot cheaper than Ancestry, until the end of the year, and a much better choice.

That site offers far better service, including all of the projects and help forums where there are expert fellow users available and eager to help interpret results, and of course it also notifies you of matches (and has better privacy protection than Ancestry, I believe).

At that site, your DNA results are not associated with any personal information that you do not choose to make available. And there are no subscriptions -- you pay for the test and you have access to forums and projects forever.

Ancestry is simply trawling for people who know nothing about DNA and are drawn in by its promises. From what I can tell, it basically takes your money and runs.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 2 Dec 2016 12:26

JC
Thanks. More to it than I thought.
I reckon I have better things to spend my money on.

lavender

lavender Report 6 Dec 2016 07:29

I do know of an adopted person who has traced birth family through the DNA testing but not sure who they went with.

L

L Report 7 Dec 2016 17:45

Lavender I would be very interested if you could find out which site please, I am searching for b.family myself and think I should do DNA testing. Thank you to all members for guidance as I've taken on board your knowledge and advise too!

lavender

lavender Report 7 Dec 2016 22:10

I shall let you know Lennon :-) pm sent

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Dec 2016 05:47

Hi Lennon, are you a boy person? :-)

If so, you have more chances to find matches than us girl people.

If you use Family Tree DNA, you can test both your YDNA (male line) and your atDNA (autosomal DNA). Ancestry does not do YDNA testing.

YDNA testing will find matches who share a male-line ancestor with you (if, of course, any such person has tested). There is no similar good test for the female line.

Autosomal DNA can find cousins in any line of your family.

The holiday sale is on now at FTDNA. Check it out and I can offer some more info if you're interested.

Family Finder (the autosomal DNA test, same as Ancestry's) is on sale for $59 US.

and Family Finder + Y37 (the good basic starting point for YDNA testing) is on sale for $188 US.

https://www.familytreedna.com/

L

L Report 8 Dec 2016 12:55

Hi JoonieCloonie! I'm female! My search so far has been difficult as I've no dob. For my b.mother, I'm hoping to do test as it might shine some light on where my roots are!! The DNA test is confusing to me! Thanks for help.

lavender

lavender Report 8 Dec 2016 21:01

My friend had good results through Ancestry :-)