Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard and Mary Ashcroft

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatW

PatW Report 4 Jun 2017 18:12

I'm not sure if I'm using the right board but I wondered if someone could look up the deaths of the above husband and wife.

Richard as far as I know was born on the 5th January 1906 in Preston Lancashire and died in Preston 1982. I I think it was the 3rd quarter.

Mary his wife was born on the 17th December, 1910 and died 1983 in Preston Lancashire. I think this also was the 3rd quarter.

Many thanks. Pat

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 4 Jun 2017 18:19

NAME: Richard Ashcroft
BIRTH: 5 Jan 1906
DEATH: Sep 1982 - Preston and South Ribble, Lancashire, England

there is a probate record fro a Richard died 15 Sept 1882 of 10 Hawkhurst Rd Penwortham

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 4 Jun 2017 18:21

NAME: Mary Ashcroft
BIRTH: 17 Dec 1910
DEATH: Sep 1983 - Preston and South Ribble, Lancashire, England

there is a probate record of Mary died 5th August 1983 with same address as the above Richard

PatW

PatW Report 4 Jun 2017 18:24

Many thanks for your reply.
I don't know how you do it so quickly.
Pat

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Jun 2017 18:33

For the GRO index that FreeBMD hasn'tyet transcribed or don't intend to transcribe, check
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

In thus case, the collection of interest is:
England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZ3-Y7GB
Name Richard Ashcroft
Event Type Death Registration
Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year 1982
Registration District Preston & South Ribble
County Lancashire
Event Place Preston & South Ribble, Lancashire, England
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969) 05 Jan 1906
Volume 40
Page 1798

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZ7-WVY1
Name Mary Ashcroft
Event Type Death Registration
Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year 1983
Registration District Preston & South Ribble
County Lancashire
Event Place Preston & South Ribble, Lancashire, England
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969) 17 Dec 1910
Volume 40
Page 1926

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Jun 2017 18:54

Since these rego's were 1983 or earlier, they will be in the printed inmdex, so you should check the original out yourself.
FS has no images, so go to the FreeBMD home page:

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

and take the "view images" link - it's a kludgy interface, but it will eventually get you to the images after an annoying spot of hunt and peck - at least it;s free.

-----------------------

Although one could buy the d.certs from the local office,

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

has no deaths (nor births) indexed online for PRESTON & SOUTH RIBBLE after 1974 - there are some marrs thru 2010 though.

------------------===

As a footnote, I prefer to bookmark FreeBMD's home page, rather than their search page which is only a click away.
The home page has links to FreeCEN and reeREG on it which I find useful.

PatW

PatW Report 4 Jun 2017 23:13

Thanks for all the information
Pat

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 5 Jun 2017 07:26

In case you don't have it- they've been mistranscribed on the 1939 register as Ashcrop (Ashcroft on original):

10 Hawkhurst Road , Preston R.D., Lancashire, England

Richard Ashcrop 05 Jan 1906 Male General Labourer Heavy Worker Married
Mary Ashcrop 17 Dec 1911 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Closed record
Closed record

PatW

PatW Report 5 Jun 2017 18:29

Thank you Austin. This is the address where my husband lived when we married.

Thanks to all for their help. Always on the ball
Pat

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Jun 2017 03:58

I was looking to resolve the 1910 (d.cert) - 1911 (1939) conflict.

I'm guessing this is your couple:
Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1934[q3]
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
ASHCROFT Richard HEWITT Mary Preston, St Oswald (now Worship Centre) Preston 235/1/3

The local ref (235/1/3) is interesting - 235 is the code for Preston, St Oswald - fortunately decoded here for you - /1/ indicates this is the first register used for this code, and /3 indicates this is the 3rd entry. Sometimes the last element in the triple is a page number, but an entry number is usually used for a marr, so one knows who wed whom.
Anyways, this was only the 3rd marr recorded in this church, so it probably only opened earlier in 1934.

This looks like your Richard - there were 2 choices, but the first has no mid-name:

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1906[q1]
Surname Forename(s) Mother's Maiden Name Sub-District Registers At Reference
ASHCROFT Richard WILDING West Preston Preston WP/4/99
ASHCROFT Richard Lawrence BARNFATHER East Preston Preston EP/5/96

If your Mary was Mary Hewitt, I'm not able to guess her b.cert ref.
There are no Lancs hits (well, technically a small bit of Runcorn RD was in Lancs, although mostly it's in Cheshire). Note a 17 Dec birth could well be rego'ed in the following quarter - Like many local indexes, LancsBMD tends to index by year of birth, rather than year of rego. I've appended the quarter of rego to the above dates.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Preston/StOswald
gives the grid ref - SD5527230785 You can enter this at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
SD is the 100km x 100km square the covers most of Lancs - SJ covers the extreme S of Lancs.

The grid ref SD 55272 30785 translates to the old style coord ref 355272,430785 and this says where the arrow tip is in metres you can see this reflected in the UTL it takes you to, as embedded in the URL is "x=355272&y=430785".
So this point is 355+ kms E and 430+ kms N of the zero datum point which is abt 135 km WSW of Lands End. On Streetmap, at zoom levels 3 and 4, the blue grid lines are 1km apart.

PatW

PatW Report 6 Jun 2017 08:51

Thank you for your reply. I know all the history of the Ashcrofts as they are my in-laws. The only thing I wanted was the actual dates of Richards birth and death and Mary's date of death. My brother-law had all the certificates but on a tidy up threw them away as he didn't think they would be needed. As it's over 30 years since they died actual dates had been forgotten.

I now have all the information needed and I thank everyone for your help.

Thought you all might be interested to know that Richard belonged to a boating family and was born on a canal barge on the Preston to Lancaster Canal. His family left working on the barges shortly after he was born and moved to a house in Preston. Lancashire

Pat