Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Jul 2017 16:45

I wonder if anybody can help me I have found a Ernesto Domingeuz born 1913 living in Leek R.D with four other people which seem to be our family but we have no idea who this Ernesto Dominguez could be.
Two of the people are grandparents Harry Brooks born 1883 and May Brooks born 1888.

I would be grateful for ay information

Sheila

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2017 16:50

May be he is just a lodger

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2017 16:53

he certainly looks like a lodger from his occupation

Dominguez Household (6 People) Mereside , Leek R.D., Staffordshire, England

Harry Brooks 22 Jun 1883 Quarry Proprietor
Ernesto Dominguez 17 Aug 1913 Engineer Inspector Argentine Government
May Brooks 26 Apr 1887 Domestic Duties Unpaid
Mary D Husdon (Brookes) 12 Jan 1914 Fabric Cutter ( Silk )
William W Brookes 15 Mar 1924 At School
Barbara A Sutton (Brookes) 14 Dec 1926 At School

people often had lodgers to help out with family income

he is listed first so shows as his household but its more likely given his age and he is single he is living with the family not the other way round

malyon

malyon Report 3 Jul 2017 17:06

Ernesto Enrique Dominguez
Argentina, Capital Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1737-1977
baptism:
13 July 1913
Nuestra SeƱora de Balvanera, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Capital Federal, Argentina
father:
Enrique Dominguez
mother:
Vicenta Pastor

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Jul 2017 17:07

The only one still alive is Barbara A Sutton but she was not married at this time and still alive. What are the rules for the 1939 census.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jul 2017 17:31

they usually open the records when they find the death of the person as at the last update they do

if she is still alive perhaps they have matched up a lady with the same name and birth date which is why its an open record

they have picked up she married

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Jul 2017 17:40

Thank you for that. I found out that they do change the surnames at the latest update but she should not be on a open record, I will contact her and see whether she wants to close her record.

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Jul 2017 18:01

Thank you Malyon for the birth details not sure if correct one, nobody to ask but will keep checking

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jul 2017 19:34

Sheila ..............

the 1939 Register formed the basis for the NHS, and as such was updated regularly until about 1991. I believe that is the reason why women who married after 1939 are shown under the "new" name because that would be the one identifying them in the NHS. There is usually a notation on the Register as to when a change was made ......... March 1948 in Barbara's case.

No more changes were made until after FMP received access to the register, they are now gradually opening closed records as people send in information and as they themselves manage to match up deaths with the records in England and Wales.

It is usually considered that a record should be closed if the person would be younger than 100 or 110 ............. so Barbara's record should still be closed UNLESS a) someone else has sent in a record of death or b) a death record has been found for someone else with the same name and details.

I have an aunt and uncle who emigrated to Australia to be with their daughters ............ 2 of the daughters (aged 87 and 90) are still alive, but none of the records in the Register have been opened, even though uncle was born 1894. That's because they died in Australia, and overseas records are not consulted by FMP, so the Register listing will stay closed unless a family member sends in the necessary paperwork!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Jul 2017 22:30

First name(s) Ernesto
Last name Dominsuez
Gender Male
Age 26
Birth year 1914
Occupation ENGINEER
Departure year 1940
Departure day 28
Departure month 6
Departure port Liverpool
Destination port New York
Destination NEW YORK
Country United States
Destination country United States
Ship name Samaria
Ship official number 145925
Ship master's first name W C
Ship master's last name BATTLE
Shipping line CUNARD WHITE STAR LIMITED

possible ?

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Jul 2017 22:39

It is looking like the same one, but cannot find any other records. Still checking thanks for this information

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jul 2017 03:45

Re that passenger leaving the UK as posted by Kay ................

information from the image:-

Last address in the UK:- 66 Desnesne Rd (??Desegne), Manchester 16
Travelling Cabin (??? if that means 1st Class)
Going back to Argentina

Ernesto's arrival in the US from the Ellis Island site ..............

First Name : Ernesto
Last Name : Dominguez
Place of Birth : Argentine
Date of Arrival : 1940
Age at Arrival : 26
Ship of Travel : Samaria
Manifest Line Number : 11

from Passenger Manifest ..........
Nearest Friend in UK:- friend Alice E Sakerthwaite, 66 Demesne Road, Manchester 16
Passage paid by Government
In transit to Argentina

Not sure if that helps at all!!!!!

Sheila

Sheila Report 4 Jul 2017 12:02

Thanks Sylvia for the information, is this a separate record than what Kay put down I have looked for a Alice E Sakerthwaite and cannot find her. However, thank you for looking

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jul 2017 18:24

Sheila ..................

The first bit regarding his last address in the UK I got by opening the image to the record that Kay found.

I then went to the Ellis Island site to get the information on the passenger manifest, ie for his entry in the US

https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/

You have to join to see the records, but it is free to do so. The only downside is that you may then get emails from the Foundation re donating :-(

Sheila

Sheila Report 4 Jul 2017 22:19

Thanks for that, I will look into it