Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cutting and pasting

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 4 Jul 2017 16:33

hi all,
havent been on genesreunited for awhile. can anyone tell me how to paste details from one tree to another ? i know how to cut but cant remember how to paste!
thanks in advance
Paul

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Jul 2017 17:19

Do you mean copy & paste from the clipboard? I don't think it works anymore.

If you're determined to copy info or people on to your own tree without checking the sources, you're best off doing it manually. Open GR and the other tree in another window, not tab. Stack or display side by side by right clicking the black bar on the bottom of your PC or lap top screen. That way you can see both at the same time.

Paul

Paul Report 4 Jul 2017 18:42

Thanks for your help

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Jul 2017 23:58

To cut, highlight whatever it is and type ctrl-x (i.e., x whilst holding the ctrl key down)
To copy, highlight whatever it is and type ctrl-c
To paste, click your cursor to the desired location and type ctrl-v

The difference between cut and copy is that cut removes the highlighted block, whilst cut leaves it alone. You can't cut stuff you don't have write-access to, like other people's web pages, trees etc.