Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding relatives in Belgium

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 15 Jul 2017 15:20

Hello, could anyone help please? My parents have passed away and I have no other close relatives to ask or to help me with this. I would like to try and find my Aunt, this is my Mum's Sister, due to the birth of her Father (my Grandfather) in the UK I can find some information on him but not on my Aunt so I am unsure if she is still alive and would like to try find her and maybe have a last link to my Mum. Can anyone tell me how to go about trying to find out some information as the Belgian records on the internet are difficult to navigate, my Great Grandmother was Belgian, I now know her name and my Aunt was Belgian and lived in Antwerp. I hope that makes sense and that someone might be able to help. Thanks, Emma

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jul 2017 15:26

do you have her name and birth year

when was the family last in touch

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jul 2017 15:50

Welcome to the boards, Emma.

Have you tried whitepages?

http://www.whitepages.be

I'm assuming you know her name - not sure if it's your gr-grandmother's name you know, or your aunt's.

Emma

Emma Report 15 Jul 2017 16:59

Thank you for your replies, I have the names of my great Grandmother both maiden and married (?) my Grandfather was illegitimate so no more info on parents, my Grandfather and Grandmother and my Aunt's full maiden name, sorry if my thread was confusing, I've just had a look at whitepages.be but I think I would need to know her married name for that and sadly I don't. If I can't find any more information I'm not sure how to find a reputable genealogist over there as the ads I've looked at for private detectives just seem to want to catch cheating spouses!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jul 2017 17:45

Depending on when your grandparents died it may be she may have been the informant but I have no experience on what documentation they produce in Belgium.

Do you know where they lived up to their final years

malyon

malyon Report 15 Jul 2017 19:27

what was your aunts birth name

Emma

Emma Report 15 Jul 2017 19:28

I've just requested his death certificate because even though he lived in Belgium his death was recorded there but also in the 'death abroad indices' because he was born in the UK. My Grandmother outlived him so she would have registered the death but I'm hoping it may give me a bit more information. My Mum lost touch with them all many years ago but I'm not sure why, it looks as though they always lived in Antwerp though.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jul 2017 19:51

Well hopefully it will give an address which may help

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 16 Jul 2017 21:31

You may find this link useful in the future

http://www.cyndislist.com/belgium/

As the site says......Cyndislist is
A categorized & cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet.
A list of links that point you to genealogical research sites online.
A free jumping-off point for you to use in your online research.
A "card catalog" to the genealogical collection in the immense library that is the Internet.
Your genealogical research portal onto the Internet.

Good luck
Chris

Emma

Emma Report 17 Jul 2017 08:13

Thanks everyone, I contacted a genealogist in the UK and have been referred to one in Belgium, apparently Belgian records under 100 years old have to be referred to court for authorisation and are not online so it doesn't look like I would have been able to get anywhere with my own research so fingers crossed I will be able to find my Aunt this way.