Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

spanish death cert copy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DawnWilson

DawnWilson Report 20 Jul 2017 13:40

please could some one help me by telling me how i would get a copy of a recent death in spain, :-(

PatW

PatW Report 20 Jul 2017 15:49

Spain - Obtain a Copy of Death Certificate
Introduction

The death certificate is the official document that certifies the death of an individual.
Eligibility

It may be requested by any citizen who requires it or has interest in it, except where the law prohibits publication without special authorisation of information regarding:
Adoption, extramarital or unknown relationships or details that unveil such circumstances; the date of marriage indicated on the page registering the birth, if the former were later than the latter or it occurred within the 180 days prior to the birth; the change of a Foundling surname or other similar or inconvenient ones.
Sex change.
Causes for annulment, separation or divorce, or the loss or suspension of parental authority.
Filed documents related to the details in the items above or to dishonourable circumstances or those of a reserved nature included in the file.
Abortion files.

Instructions

There are several types:
Positive Certificates:
Extract: This is a summary of the information related to the death, as it appears in the Civil Register. There are different versions:
Ordinary: It is issued in Spanish in the autonomous communities in which the only official language is Spanish.
International or multilingual: This version is valid in the countries that have ratified the Vienna Convention of 8 September 1976. This certificate is issued in the official language of each of the signatory countries of that convention (Spain, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey, Serbia-Montenegro).
Bilingual: Whenever an extract certificate is requested in an autonomous community that has its own official language, the certificate will be issued in Spanish and in the official language of the autonomous community in which it is issued.
Literal: This is a literal copy of the registration of the death, containing all of the data related to the identity of the deceased and the events surrounding the death.
Negative Certificates: These certify that the death of an individual has not been registered at that Civil Register.
Required Information

Name and surname of the deceased
Names of the deceased's parents
Marital status
Nationality
Date and location of birth
Birth registration details
Last known place of residence
Date, time and location of the death (as documented in the death certificate)
Place of burial or cremation, if indicated on the death certificate or the certification from the authority or civil servant in charge of the cemetery

Procedure

Application in person
The interested party must go personally to the Civil Register where the death is registered, presenting the National Identification Card (D.N.I.) of the individual requesting the certificate. Indicate the name and surnames of the deceased, and the date and location of death. Then you must indicate which type of certificate you want:
Literal
Extract
Ordinary or bilingual.
International or multilingual.
Negative
Ways of receiving the certificate: Collection at the corresponding Civil Register window.

Postal application
If you wish to request and receive, when appropriate, a death certificate by ordinary post, you may send a letter to the Civil Register, clearly indicating the name and postal address to which the certificate is to be sent, including the following data in the request:
Name, surnames and National Identification Card of the person requesting the certificate.
Name and surnames of the deceased, and the date and location of death.
Next, indicate the type of certificate you would like to receive:
Literal
Extract
Ordinary or bilingual.
International or multilingual.
Negative
Finally, provide a contact telephone number where you can be reached to clarify any of the data

DawnWilson

DawnWilson Report 20 Jul 2017 16:14

Thank you for your help , all the info i have is the date my uncle died , and that he moved to spain , i dont know what his address was , but think i know the rough area, so from what i have just read , i am not likely to get a copy am i?
thank you again PatsyW

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 20 Jul 2017 21:04

Patsy....What area "roughly" do you think he moved to ?

DawnWilson

DawnWilson Report 20 Jul 2017 22:38

my cousins live in "San Luis De Sabinillas, Andalucia, Spain " and my uncle dies on the 5 july this year ,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jul 2017 23:37

Could you contact your cousins and ask them to send a copy of the original? As San Luis De Sabinillas has only about 6000 permanent inhabitants (wiki), if you could find an exact address for a post office, they may be able to deliver it.

There are various online phone books. See if they are listed. It seems to be in the municipality of Manilva in the province of Malaga.

Some of the shops have an English presence on facebook. Its possible that one of them would be willing to ask around about your uncle/cousins or look them up in a directory.
eg https://www.facebook.com/Sabi_ink-1569640096647261/

To be honest, if your uncle only died a couple of weeks ago, it seems rather soon to want a copy of his DC for family history purposes. If you are wanting it for legal reasons, and your cousins aren't co-operating, it might be worth hiring a local legal representative.

DawnWilson

DawnWilson Report 21 Jul 2017 12:10

Thank you for your advice x