Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Lookup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Jul 2017 21:09

Anyone please help with a 1939 lookup for a

James Patrick Birrane he was born in March 1912/1913.He was living in Manchester in March 1941 where he married at St Bridget's Church, not sure if he was in Manchester in 1939 though.

Thank you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2017 21:26

Walsh Household (9 People)
128 Fleet Lane , St Helens C.B., Lancashire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER

James (P) Birrane (Byurn) 22 Feb 1914 Male General Labourer Munition Factory Heavy Worker Single 119 9
Thomas Walsh 25 Sep 1885 Male Coal Mine Metal Man Heavy Worker Married 119 1
Agnes Walsh 01 Nov 1888 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 119 2
Katherine Walsh 21 Jan 1919 Female Domestic Servant Unemployed Single 119 3
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Annie Mulligan (Walsh) 29 May 1924 Female Bottle Hand Glass Bottle Work Married 119 5
Margaret Howden (Walsh) 01 Nov 1927 Female At School Single 119 7

Kath. x

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Jul 2017 21:49

Thank you Kath

I wonder if there are any other James Listed?

Problem was the birth record in Ireland is 12 JAN 1912 his relatives thought he celebrated his birthday in March not sure whether born 1912/1913 On 1st March marriage gave his age as 28yrs.

Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2017 21:58

That is the only one that comes up with the correct surname and middle initial of P.

There isn't a match with the birth date you give.

What was his occupation on his marriage certificate? Ages are often incorrect on marriage certificates.

Kath. x

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Jul 2017 22:20

Kath,

I am helping out someone, I will ask about occupation from marriage cert. they are also awaiting death cert arrival.

will post again when I get more info thanks for reply

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jul 2017 00:33

birth dates are often also wrong on the 1939 Register

It depends on who gives the information, as well as on whether the person actually knows when he/she was born and is not telling a lie

I've told this story so many times, it is getting boring!

My grandfather is on the 1939 Register with birth date 25 Dec 1884

He told all his family he was born on 25 December

His son registered his death as born 25 Dec 1884

Nope ......... he was born 9 January 1885. Only about 2 weeks but he knew it and lied to everyone

His baptism doesn't help either ............ he was baptised at the same time as his younger sister ........ on 25 Dec 1886 :-D

I have his birth certificate, and uncle also found a certificate hidden at the back of a drawer about a month after grandfather died.

Maureen

Maureen Report 22 Jul 2017 15:16

I was thinking the same about the death cert. The details supplied to the Registrar would be given by the informant who may have incorrect DOB.