Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Child Maintenance / 1943-1944

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 21 Jul 2017 23:14

Hello everyone.

I seem to forever hit brick walls, what with so many records not being available to view or simply having been destroyed in some shape, form or another or not being taken, because of war time and such. Which I suppose is a great frustration for many!

I'm reaching out to the people who know records beyond the basic stuff, like BMD, Census...etc

My Nan had a child in 1943, and the story is that the father was taken to court to make payments for help with the child. I will spare the details of the story, but she successful won the case and he was ordered to pay child support/maintenance or whatever the proper name of it was back then. AT LEAST, this is how the story goes, so far all the 'stories' I've had to research have turned out to be true or half true, when coming from my Nan (who's not deceased). Now that I have confirmed the man's name (with a relative), is there anyway of viewing these court proceedings, what was said, what amount was given, current places of address...etc You know, the nitty gritty details that'll help A LOT.

Sorry for the long post, but I do tend to ramble and hope the question was not lost in all that!

Thank you for any tips, hints or leads in advance! :-D
Rachel

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2017 23:50

In the 1920's my grandmother took my grandfather to court for desertion and applied for maintenance.

We found the court record in the Magistrate's Court Records Book at the local archives. It didn't give addresses but did give the amount of maintenance he had to pay for the three children and also the court costs he had to pay immediately. It gave us the name of the policeman who had to serve the court order on him.

If you know where they lived at the time I would get in touch with the local archives. We were told that as long as the hearing was more than 30 years ago we were able to see the record books.

Kath. x

Rachel

Rachel Report 22 Jul 2017 12:15

Thanks Kath!

I will give them a call, see if they have what I'm looking for.

Hmm, this means they might also hold my Nan's sister's court records too. They went to court over a divorce, I think to prove grounds for divorce and I was told the child was made to pick who she wanted to live with! Shocking. But yes, worth asking.

Thank you again!
Take care and all the best.
Rachel

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jul 2017 19:30

It's highly unlikely that Divorce Court records have survived.

Have a look at this link
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorces/

Rachel

Rachel Report 22 Jul 2017 23:45

Wow, 0.2% chance!! But still a chance, despite it being a slim one. -sighs-

You know, I've got a feeling there is a HUGE skeleton in the cupboard that does not wanna come out, Detective, because with these two sisters, I'm trying to find out stuff and going down many avenues to hit brick walls each time. :-S

Have a few more options open if I can't get no information. But running out of leads fast! Ack!

Thanks you two!