Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Frith 1907-1984 / Vera Sylvia his widow

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 24 Jul 2017 17:37

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me?

I started research a couple of years ago while recovering from an operation, once again I want to continue my quest...you were all absolutley amazing with so much help last time,

I just cannot seem to find a marriage cert for my true grandad, after getting a copy of his death certificate (dying in Truro) I see he had a new lady in his life which is amazing, Vera Sylvia. I am just sure he must of gone on to marry and have more children I would so love to know he was happy and had a family.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? ... I just had a thought... maybe he went overseas?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jul 2017 17:39

William Frith
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name: William Frith
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1972
Registration district: Falmouth
Inferred County: Cornwall
Spouse: Vera S Roberts
Volume Number: 7a
Page Number: 96

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Jul 2017 18:01

If that is his marriage in 1972 he would have been 65. If his bride was a similar age I'd guess there were no children.

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 24 Jul 2017 18:21

OH WOW! Thank you so much!!! How do you find this info?...

I have been searching and searching and just couldn't find anything,

I feel sad if he didn't marry before that date as his first marriage finished in about 1947 :( ... maybe there is a marriage in between... maybe if i backtrack and look for a death/divorce for a female Frith

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jul 2017 18:52

I found it on Ancestry (subscription site), by searching for a marriage between William Frith and Vera Sylvia (leaving surname box blank)

You could also search for it on FreeBMD (free site).
The results initially show up differently there. If you search for a marriage of William Frith, with spouse name Vera S., you get a list of William Frith marriages, but it doesn't show the brides' first names until you click on the blue number at the end of each result.
For instance, this is the result you get for your William's marriage (just one of several William Frith marriages resulting from that search):

Marriages Dec 1972 (>99%)
FRITH WILLIAM ROBERTS FALMOUTH 7A 96

It's easy to guess that this might be the right marriage because it's in Falmouth, and he died in Cornwall.
To see the bride's first names, you click on the number 96 at the end (it's blue when you see it on FreeBMD), and then you see this:

BLACK GILLIAN R WATERS FALMOUTH 7A 96 Scan available - click to view
FRITH WILLIAM ROBERTS FALMOUTH 7A 96 Scan available - click to view
ROBERTS VERA S FRITH FALMOUTH 7A 96 Scan available - click to view
WATERS ROBERT L BLACK FALMOUTH 7A 96

You can easily pair up the right spouses, because their surnames are given.

If the search had been for Vera S, with spouse William Frith, the result would be:

ROBERTS VERA S FRITH FALMOUTH 7A 96

So, again ,you would click on 96 to see the Frith spouse's first name.

EDIT;
Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs - I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that you didn't know about FreeBMD!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jul 2017 18:55

Re looking for a previous marriage, you'd have to have some idea of where he'd been living, as there are lots of marriages of men named William Frith all over the country.

The 1972 marriage is the only one in Cornwall, but maybe he lived somewhere else previously?

Well, yes, he must have done, as you mention his first marriage - which was obviously not in Cornwall.

Where was his child born - ie - your mother or father?
Or do you know where his first marriage took place?

patchem

patchem Report 26 Jul 2017 06:45

This is his death:
William Frith
BIRTH: 27 Nov 1907
DEATH: Mar 1984 - Truro, Cornwall, England

so is this his birth?
Births Mar 1908
Frith William Manchester 8d 206b

Parents might be Lily and Samuel in 1911, and the parents might be living in Coventry in 1939.

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 26 Jul 2017 07:28

Hi yes it is ?? I have that info thank you. I'm very interested in what happened to him after his marriage breakup to my grandmother Grace Singlehurst. I am hoping he went on to find love and have more children, so my dad could of had half brother or sister that would be wonderful but sad at the same time that my dad never knew.

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 26 Jul 2017 07:33

Aglegran thank u I didn't know about FreeBMD I will look there too

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 26 Jul 2017 07:36

MargaretM u r right I'm now going have find out about Vera Sylvia Roberts ... I wonder if she was the same age as my grandfather... that's going to be interesting
Thank you!

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Jul 2017 10:03

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1353344

(previous 'Thread', if anything to help)

Chris :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jul 2017 12:10

I think you'll have to buy William and Vera's marriage cert to find out more clues about her - age, whether she'd been married before or not, etc.

I don't see the birth of any Vera Sylvia Roberts in England / Wales, but there are several Vera S Roberts, and also just Vera Roberts with no middle initial.

It seems feasible she had been married before, assuming she was roughly the same age as William.

There are several marriages of women named Vera S to men with surname Roberts.

One in St Austell in 1932 looked promising, but her middle name was Sarah, per birth record.

There are several others, but no way of knowing their middle names without buying certs..

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 26 Jul 2017 18:31

Hi Chris Ho & All :)
Thank you I had a look through my previous thread as everyone was so kind and found me so much info on my grandmothers family on her side, I still dont have confirmation that there is indian in my family, but i feel there is, i hope so.
I am now looking at my dad's dad and would love to know more about him, i just have a feeling that he may of married after divorcing Grace Singlehurst & between marrying Vera Sylvia... so I think i do need to get their marriage cert as ArgyllGran suggests to learn more.
I wondered if he went abroad and met someone after 1947-1975

patchem

patchem Report 27 Jul 2017 06:51

V S Frith was living at 23 Laburnum Close Falmouth in 1984 according to telephone directories - is that Vera? (Phone number under her name, not his?)

Added:
Yes, is W Frith at 23 Laburnum Close in 1981.

Just looking for her.

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 27 Jul 2017 07:31

Yes that's her. As that's where they lived when my grandfather died so she is still alive in 1984...

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 27 Jul 2017 07:36

Oh hang on that's when 1984 is when my grandfather died so of course she was alive... sorry I'm working full time and trying to do as much research in little time ...
I think my grandfather might of gone abroad after his marriage failed sometime after 1950...

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 27 Jul 2017 14:48

William's marriage to to Grace was over before 1947.

Grace had a daughter in 1946 with a different partner and was living with him in Kensington.

EDIT:
Grace is with her new partner on the Kensington Electoral Register in 1945. - She went on to marry him in 1974.

William and Vera had a child (1944)- I think Kay is going to send you the details.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 27 Jul 2017 15:18

Vera moved back to Northampton and died 6th January 2010.

Googling brings up her obituary.

Vera's birth:
Births Sep 1924
Roberts Vera S (Mother's maiden name:Clarke) Northampton 3b 104

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Jul 2017 16:42

Full list of sensitive finding details sent privately.

LouisaF

LouisaF Report 27 Jul 2017 19:39

OMG! AustinQ and Kay thank you!!!
this is wonderful news, some i knew already but its marvelous :)
Cant stay and respond properly at this moment thank you