Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Russian(maybe Belarus)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarcasO

MarcasO Report 28 Jul 2017 16:33

Hi everyone. Havent been here for awhile as ive got as far as I can. I am now trying to help my other half. She is Polish but has been recently told that her great father was a chap called Alfons Joczyn. We have been to his wifes grave and then got told he was imprisoned in the 1920s. Consequently dying there and being buried there. We believe there may not be even a death cert. Any idea how to find out? We think in the area known as Voronezh. Sometimes spelt Woronez. Done brief searches on the web, cant find census or anything. Cheers. Mark

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 28 Jul 2017 16:54

Hello Marcas, Just trying to get an idea of his age-

Who was his wife? Is her grave in Poland?

Zofia?

Name Zofia Joczyn
Event Type Burial
Event Date 1971
Event Place Opole, , Opolskie, Poland
Photograph Included N
Birth Date 06 Dec 1877
Death Date 16 Mar 1971
Affiliate Record Identifier 170140202
Cemetery Brzeg Cemetery

MarcasO

MarcasO Report 28 Jul 2017 18:16

Yes that's her. I visited the grave last week when we went over. The husband is completely missing. I found some other genealogy site that mentioned Alfons but no record of birth marriage or death. The story is she moved with the kids(5 I think) to Poland after.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jul 2017 18:24

Moved to Poland - - - from where? Russia ? After what? Alfons's death?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jul 2017 18:36

It seems many records were destroyed:

http://www.findrussianheritage.com/news/russian-ancestry-voronezh-archives/

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jul 2017 19:51

Just a thought ..........

the 1920s were the time of Lenin followed by Stalin and pogroms in Russia ........

many records were destroyed, and many people died / were killed and buried without records if stories from that time are to be believed.

Stalin was General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union from 1922 to 1952. Evidence from the Soviet archives showed records of 799,455 executions (1921–1953), around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulag and some 390,000 deaths during kulak forced resettlement – with a total of about 2.9 million officially recorded victims in these categories alone.

MarcasO

MarcasO Report 29 Jul 2017 08:18

It makes for very scary reading. We have no idea why Alfons was imprisoned. Would it be hard to find the names in these archives?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jul 2017 11:26

The link given in the findrussianheritage site ( above) takes you to this:

https://tinyurl.com/ybt9tulu

Don't know if anything there would help you? Perhaps contacting them ??

MarcasO

MarcasO Report 29 Jul 2017 12:20

Thanks. I will give it a look when home on the laptop. At the moment on a bus goin through Irish countryside. Hopefully find sone answers. Makes for more scarier reading than my Irish ancestry.