Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree DNA and transfer to Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 18 Aug 2017 12:04

Hi

I have had my DNA tested at Family Tree DNA and I have a relative who has also been tested on Ancestry DNA. She is a beginner on Ancestry and we want to upload my FTDNA to Ancestry so she can compare it.
Can anyone let me know how she can upload myFamily Tree DNA to Ancestry?

With myFTDNA I have 6 formats that I can download - which is compatible with Ancestry
• Build 37 Autosomal Raw Data (GZIP, CSV)
• Build 36 Autosomal Raw Data (GZIP, CSV)
• Build 37 X Chromosome Raw Data (GZIP, CSV)
• Build 36 X Chromosome Raw Data (GZIP, CSV)
• Build 37 Raw Data Concatenated (GZIP, CSV)
• Build 36 Raw Data Concatenated (GZIP, CSV)

Thanks
David

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2017 12:14

I don't know anything about it personally -

but maybe this link will help ??

https://tinyurl.com/m5v2xa9

"Neither Ancestry, 23andMe nor Genographic accept transfer data from any other vendors."

If you Google the question, there are lots of results, but from a quick look, it would appear that Ancestry won't accept it.

But I may be wrong, as I don't understand it at all!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Aug 2017 14:51

Ancestry won't accept it as they would have missed out on the sale of their own kit

Along with the results on Ancestry they constantly monitor matches and inform you of possible famiiy connections .

They have their own program as you will be aware of .

The results came be printed out from ancestry so can't you do a visual paper check

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 18 Aug 2017 16:02

David

Only Autosomal DNA can be transferred

FTDNA cannot be transferred to Ancestry (Ancestry does not accept transfers from any other DNA company)

Ancestry DNA can be transferred to FTDNA but it can be a challenge as each company uses different alogarithms -you can view the info free but there is a charge of $19 to "unlock" the tools

The other option you have is for you both to upload your data to GEDMATCH org

It is a very good matching site with lots of tools and it is FREE!!!

You download/upload the Raw Data - do not open athe ZIP file
FTDNA you upload 37 concatenated
Just follow the instructions

I have transferred data from FTDNA/Ancestry and LivingDNA to Gedmatch

I think MYHeritage will also take FTDNA and Ancestry transfers

Edit
Spelling !!

Christine

Christine Report 23 Aug 2017 23:10

I have just uploaded my Ancestry DNA results to Gedmatch, which may well be free but came up with a page that said I needed to donate $10 in order to access results.
I did so in the hope of benefitting more from it, but I have to say that so far I am finding it absolutely incomprehensible.

It does indeed list matches with names and email addresses, but does not explain how closely the matches might be related (I can only assume that the top ones might be closer than those lower down?). I have found very little information on how to use the site and as far as I can see you need a science degree to make sense of it.

I'm sure that there must be people out there who do understand it and I congratulate them for it. Everything I have received from Ancestry has been very well explained and easy to understand.