Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printed family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 22 Aug 2017 20:49

I seem to have reached brick walls in my family tree, paternal and maternal.

Can anyone recommend a printed 5 generation tree ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Aug 2017 21:28

Have a look at http://www.genealogyprinters.com/

They have a variety of printed tree charts which are very reasonable or they can print off your whole tree for you.

Kath. x

David

David Report 23 Aug 2017 10:59

Thank you Kath, I didn't know anyone would. Thank you I'll get in touch with them.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 23 Aug 2017 22:37

David

If you are just looking to see where you are with your direct line research and identify the gaps in your knowledge......

https://www.lostcousins.com/pages/info/lostcousins_chart.pdf

You have to print it out and fill in by hand but it focuses your mind on the gaps.

'Lost Cousins' https://www.lostcousins.com is also a very useful site for making contacts and the regular newsletter is brilliant for genealogy news and tips.

Chris

David

David Report 24 Aug 2017 10:25

I've been trying to complete my family tree for several years now often lacking disciple.

But I've repeatedly come up against bricks walls.I've tried on GR and family history posting the same information, getting the same results

I most recently put the whole tree I have on Wikitree

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Aug 2017 10:30

Do you want to post what brick wall you are trying to break through David and give us another chance to help? Tell us how far you have got back and see if we can go any further.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Aug 2017 12:45

Chris, I have been doing genealogy for years but this is the first time I have heard of the Lost Cousins website. I have just had a quick look at it and saved it to my favourites bar to have a more detailed look later.

It looks brilliant - thank you very much. :-)

There's always something new to learn. :-) :-)

David

David Report 24 Aug 2017 16:20

Afternoon Andysmum. Forgive my typo up the page, should read discipline instead of

disciple.. It was an interest in genealogy that drew me to GR and Belfast Forum.

But I spent more time on the threads than working on the tree. Being undisciplined I

had bits of my tree here and there. I regret to say I may have upset someone by asking for help when I'd already asked for it elsewhere. I apologise I'm like that.

The tidiest up to date version of my tree is on Wikitree. Weak, incomplete versions exist here and there.

On my Father's side of the tree SMUEL GALWAY IRVINE I have his parents and
grand parents, then the wall. He was from Belfast Northern Ireland, the records are scant. What doesn't help is that past my grand parents there was some illiteracy so
IRVINE could be spelt ERVIN or URWIN or Erving etc

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Aug 2017 17:05

David, if your Irish ancestors were RC try this site. I got back a couple of extra generations when it first came on line.

http://registers.nli.ie/

David

David Report 24 Aug 2017 17:59

On my Father's side they were Methodist and Presbyterian.

My Father Samuel Galway Irvine b1918 - d1990

His Father Samuel Galway Irvine b1874 - d1940

His Father Francis Irvine bc1852 -d?

His Father Francis Irvine bc1830 -d?

David

David Report 25 Aug 2017 09:10

As I mentioned I've all the ancestors and kin I'm aware of on Wikitree where

I (DAVID GALWAY IRVINE) am Irvine-1048 above few, below many in my tree.

I've seen that free chart thank you, very useful.

David

David Report 31 Aug 2017 18:43

Incidently, Wikitree Is good and it's free. Just send it a gedcom

David

David Report 1 Sep 2017 07:36

My GF Samuel Galway Irvine was the Father of a son who died in infancy aged 7

My Father Samuel Galway Irvine b1918-d1990 was the son of GF and GM

who's name was Sarah McLarnon died a few months after GF

In a previous search I was informed the child who died in infancy was the

son of my GF and a woman named COATON

Could never find a record of a marriage.