Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

relationship puzzle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 24 Sep 2017 19:38

what is the relationship of my grandchildren to my first cousin'
can anyone help me please.
thank you

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Sep 2017 20:26

They are also first cousins of your first cousin but twice removed as they are two generations apart.

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Sep 2017 06:38

MM is assuming you and your first cousin have a common grandparent.
However, if you turn her answer on its head, your grandkids' first cousin might be related thru their gg grandparent.

Nowadays, the general rule is for the two subjects in question to determine each's relationship to a common ancestor, and then to take the closest.

Assume this is not yourself (which generates parents, grandparents, etc or kids, grandkids etc) or a parent (which generates kids,, sibs, aunts, nieces etc)

So if the common ancestor is someone's grandparent - then we get 1st cousins
and if the common ancestor is someone's g grandparent - then we get 2nd cousins
and if the common ancestor is someone's gg grandparent - then we get 3rd cousins, etc
Finally, we count the difference in generations back to the common ancestor.
If they're diff't, then the difference is the number of removals

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Sep 2017 10:30

Goodness, mgnv, you certainly have a knack of confusing the issue!

I take issue with the fact that you accuse me of assuming that Trevor and his first cousin have a common grandparent. Of course they do, first cousins by their very nature have to have a common grandparent.

patchem

patchem Report 25 Sep 2017 10:34

There are lots of charts like this:

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/news-and-views/relationship-calculator-how-am-i-related-to-

which needs a bit of thinking to get to your answer.

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Sep 2017 10:39

MM - Your answer to Trevor was that his cousin and grandkids were first cousins.
Surely his grandkids' grandad is Trevor, not Trevor's grandad.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Sep 2017 11:48

I'm sticking by my guns, mgnv.

Of course his grandkids' grandad is Trevor but they all descend from Trevor's grandad.

I just double-checked on my FamilytreeMaker and it tells me that my grandkids are first cousins, twice removed of my first cousin.

Trevor

Trevor Report 18 Oct 2017 20:02

thank you, Its some time since I was llast on genes, thank you mm/mgnv, ;-)

Trevor

Trevor Report 18 Oct 2017 20:03

thank you, Its some time since I was llast on genes, thank you mm/mgnv, ;-)