Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

view photos and documents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2017 16:21

When I search for photos and documents always says error not even able to view public shared items ?

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Oct 2017 16:39

Are these items you have saved to 'Keepsafe'?

If it's records you have purchased with credits there is a time limit on how long you can view them, 30 or 90 days depending on how many credits you bought.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Oct 2017 17:15

I think you mean you are going to "Search" at the top of this page, and then "Member Photos and Documents" ?

I've just experimented with it, and indeed there is an error message when I enter any search term.

Have you clicked the link to contact "Customer Support" as given in the message?
If not, you should do that..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2017 18:53

Have you ever been able to search Member Photos and Documents without the permission of the member?????

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Oct 2017 18:56

When you click on "member photos and documents" it says underneath that you have to have permission from the member before you can look at them.

Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2017 19:11

Thanks for replies I thought you could view photos that have been made available to be seen by anyone and yes contacted customer support and they could not answer just kept asking unrelated questions. I don't think this is a good site unless I am using it wrong

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2017 19:13

It says you can search for other members photos and documents but you can't so how are you supposed to know what you want to see and who to ask

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Oct 2017 19:24

I've never tried it before, but it's definitely not working as I've tried viewing my own photos including one I made public. Yet another option that produces the error message...which is still blocking me entering the site the usual way as it has been for weeks now.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2017 21:08

You don't know ....... it's called privacy!!!

You have to get permission from the owners.

I guess the way round, is to Search All Member Trees to find out if any members have a relation of yours in their tree. Then contact that member, explain why you think there is a connection, and whether s/he agrees. If the tree owner agrees, they MAY choose to let you know more.

No one HAS to share information with anyone!

EVERY site has a provision to hold trees, photos and documents private ............... too many of us have been burnt by what are name collectors, now also including photo and document collectors.

Trees on here are private until you get permission to see it and the member opens the tree to you.

Trees on ancestry are public, but there is a way to make them private, one then has to contact the member to find out more. My tree on ancestry has been private for about 12 years.

I do not put photos or documents on any tree since having them "acquired" by people who had no direct relationship to me or to the ancestors.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2017 21:18

are you the person looking for a photo of Elizabeth Sizer???

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1368603

Thread title:- Emma Sizer from Hogsthorpe

If so, that photo is NOT on this site ................. it is on ANCESTRY, which is a subscription site.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Oct 2017 21:47

Yes, same person, Sylvia. I thought I made it clear that the photo was on a tree on Ancestry.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Oct 2017 21:54

Margaret ............... you did!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2017 18:46

Thank you for replies it is now suddenly working ....I am now able to search and view public photos and documents and ask permission for relevant private ones .That is all I wanted to do not to invade anyone's privacy thank you