Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA testing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donald

Donald Report 19 Oct 2017 09:11

My father's father was adopted and his parents are unknown. What DNA test should I (or my father) take that would help in identifying anything about them e.g. nationality (especially if Scottish)?

patchem

patchem Report 19 Oct 2017 23:07

Have you actually got his adoption papers and original birth certificate, or was he born before formal adoption?

Donald

Donald Report 20 Oct 2017 09:45

Born 1888. He is the same person referred to in the 'Innes query' thread, as I have hit a brick wall on that one. In summary (if you don't want to read the whole thread) I have his birth certificate but am not sure the names of the parents are the real ones.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Oct 2017 07:37

It would be an unofficial adoption then as official adoption didn't start till 1928

Why are you convinced the cert isn't him

You wouldn't register a child as yours if they weren't

patchem

patchem Report 21 Oct 2017 08:52

Could you link to the 'Innes query', please?

Donald

Donald Report 21 Oct 2017 09:09

Not sure how to link to a query, but if you go into keyword search and put in 'Innes query' it should come up.

I am sure it is his name on the birth certificate, it is the names of the parents I am not sure about as I can find no evidence of their existence at any other time than at the birth of my grandfather.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Oct 2017 09:26

The only thing that comes up is this thread

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Oct 2017 09:32

You really should stick to one thread

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1366866

Folks will be looking for info already found if they have no knowledge of the background

Donald

Donald Report 21 Oct 2017 16:10

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1366866

The above link may work - I used a different thread as the question was different - In this I was just asking about DNA testing

patchem

patchem Report 21 Oct 2017 17:42

This might help to get you started:

https://goo.gl/BLpWG4

Donald

Donald Report 23 Oct 2017 08:41

Thanks patcham, that is a useful lnk