Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 26 Oct 2017 12:33

I have just received a death certificate for a relative, an 11 year old girl, dated 1922. In Column 7 headed signature,description,and residence of informant it reads ' Florence Smith causing the body to be buried' followed by an address. The name Smith does not appear anywhere in my family so do I assume it could be a neighbour? I haven't seen this wording before on any of my previous certificates . Can anyone help please?
Valerie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Oct 2017 12:50

It's was the person who was arranging the funeral so qualified them to be the informant

Could have been a neighbour or the almoner at a hospital or even someone from the funeral home

Does the informants address give a clue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Oct 2017 13:52

This is a good site to look at to find out more about certificates:-

http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm

This is taken from the above site:-

"Note that someone whose qualification is "causing the burial or cremation....." is NOT the undertaker. This is the person who is giving the instructions to the undertaker - or in the past - was doing the funeral arrangements themselves. Note also that the executor of a will does not qualify to register unless they are the ones making the funeral arrangements."

As Shirley has already said, the address may give some clue.

Kath. x

Valerie

Valerie Report 27 Oct 2017 15:17

Many thanks Shirley and Kath.( I hadn't noticed your replies and have been prompted by a very kind Cynthia) Have only just restarted family history after moving house but I noticed back in 2008 that Kath replied to one of my messages then!

Your replies are very useful and I notice that the lady in question was either living at the house or perhaps next door as the numbers are not very clear.

I am now going to take a look at that website.

Thanks
Val

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Oct 2017 19:38

Who can register a death,

a person living in and responsible for a house, lodgings or apartments where the death occurred.

I belive if a landlord lived at the same address then many did register a death.

Valerie

Valerie Report 27 Oct 2017 20:42

Thanks Kay....Val