Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Convent births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 30 Oct 2017 16:36

Does anyone know if birth records from the Irish Convents are available to look at .I am trying to trace someone who was born in a convent in Tipperary in 1930.
Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2017 16:41

I'm not sure but I can have a look on Findmypast if you would like to give details. Send the details by pm if the person may still be alive.

Kath. x

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Oct 2017 17:42

If you have the birth certificate it should tell you the place of birth or at least an address. You could then google the name of the convent and if it is still there as a convent you could write to them.. It is always possible though that records less than 100 years old may not be made public.

Linda

Linda Report 31 Oct 2017 16:15

Hi Kathleen
I sent a reply but did it on my phone so not sure if it went or not.
He was born in a convent in Cahir or Cashel in Tipperary on 25 April 1930. Mother name might have been Elizabeth. I have no access to the birth certificate as that is now back in Ireland.
Thanks for looking
Linda

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 Oct 2017 19:53

It wont make any difference if the birth took place in a convent the registration process is still the same in Ireland.

Indexes can be viewed but they offer nothing more than name ,year,quarter and mothers maiden name plus index ref,for that time.

see edited example...name has been omitted for privacy.

Ireland Civil Registration Indexes
Name,,,,,,,,,,,
Event Type Birth
Event Date Jan - Mar 1930
Event Place Carrick-On-Shannon, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1930
Registration District Carrick-On-Shannon
Mother's Maiden Name Rourke
Volume Number 3

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Nov 2017 22:26

Linda, can you not just Oder a copy of the birth certificates? I'm not sure if you have to give a reason for wanting a copy if the birth was less than 100 years ago. Just last week my sister ordered a copy of our grandmother's birth certificate. She too was born in Tipperary but more than 100 years ago.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Nov 2017 22:48

Irish certificates application form

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/images/content/GRO_Documents/Form_for_DAHG_site.pdf

It costs 4 euros for a photocopy.

The form asks for name, year, quarter, volume number and page number. FindMyPast have the indexes which would give you the volume and page numbers. If you don't have access and the person is still living, I'm sure someone with a sub would send it to you by personal message if you give them the name.

Linda

Linda Report 7 Nov 2017 09:33

Thanks All. I don't have a birth certificate just a date of birth and a name. I cant order the birth certificate as I cannot find a record of his birth anywhere. I wondered if the fact he was born in a convent was the reason I can't find the birth
Any suggestions as to where I go next.
Thanks in anticipation
Linda

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2017 10:46

Linda.

Where have you looked for the birth registration.?

What name are you looking for.?

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 7 Nov 2017 14:28

is it possible that if he was born in a convent (or a home for unmarried mothers run by nuns?) that the person you are looking for was adopted after birth and the name changed?

Linda

Linda Report 7 Nov 2017 14:48

HI. He was born in a convent and went to live with another family but was not adopted.
Thanks
Linda