Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM/FTW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Nov 2017 20:33

I have a bit of a problem with my ancient FTM program...

over the years I have managed to have several versions of my tree.
due I think to re naming backups... etc..
what would happen, do you think if I merged these versions? would it continue to add data to the next version?
would I lose data?
the latest ftm program was the 2005 one, with thefacility(now withdrawn) of websearch...
I also suspect that some earlier versions might have more uptodate info, than the latest, (if you get what I mean)!
any help would be welcome...
Bob

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Nov 2017 22:07

We have FTM 2005 and you can merge two trees. If you go into help and choose "merge files" it tells you exactly what to do.

It recommends, and I would agree, that you back up your trees first, in case something goes wrong.

Good luck!! :-) :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Nov 2017 23:18

thanks fer that Andy's Mum....

food fer thought!
Bob

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Nov 2017 13:37

Another thing I've noticed,
on earlier versions, my wife had written copious notes on various individuals...I have managed to find some of the scrapbook entries..but the notes are nowhere to be found....

i've also found the "merge individuals"...but not "merging tree" versions....

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Nov 2017 16:47

I know you can merge two trees because we did it when we joined Genes. Before that OH and I had two separate trees on FTM 2005 and we uploaded one combined tree as a gedcom. I have copied/pasted the instructions from Help, and hope it will work now.

Re your notes - try looking on Edit for the person concerned. That's where all our notes are. We only have photos on Scrapbook.

**********************************************************************************
Merging Files

By merging two files, you can combine all of the information from both files into a single family file. You may want to merge files created by a relative that have some family members in common, or to merge a World Family Tree file that includes some of your ancestors.

To merge two files:

1. Open one file in Family Tree Maker.

2. From the Family View, open the File menu and select Append/Merge Family File.

3. Family Tree Maker prompts you to back up your file before merging. This is a good idea since merging can make major changes to your file. After backing up your files, continue to step 4.

4. Family Tree Maker displays the Select File to Merge or Append, which behaves exactly the same way as the Open Family File dialog box. Select the file you wish to merge. This will be the Source file.

5. Family Tree Maker displays the Individuals to Include dialog box . Use it to select which individuals you wish to merge from the Source file.

6. Family Tree Maker checks whether you want to merge the two files, or simply to add new records from the Source file to the Destination without merging them. At this time, you can also preview your merge by clicking the button to view the Merge Files Report (pre-merge).

7. If you choose to merge, Family Tree Maker automatically merges identical individuals and sources from your file. If there are matches it’s not sure of, it displays them in the Likely Matches dialog box .

8. Finally, Family Tree Maker displays all the individuals for whom it could not find matches in the Unmatched Individuals dialog box. If you wish, you can then force a merge between any of these individuals and people in your file.

Your merge is now complete. You can view the Merge Files Report (post-merge), if you wish.

Undoing a Merge

You can Undo the most recent file merge anytime during the current session (as long as you have your family file open). Click the Edit menu and select Undo File Merge.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Nov 2017 18:52

thanks once again...