Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saving family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 24 Nov 2017 13:46

Hi, Although I have my tree on here not sure how to back up so I never loose it. Many thanks. Patricia.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Nov 2017 14:55

You won't lose it because it's stored on here. But you would have to be a member to have access to it

Your best bet is to make a gedcom of it and download it to another tree program

I use Family Tree Maker but you have to purchase that one

I believe there are free programs you can download

Kense

Kense Report 24 Nov 2017 15:56

You still have access to the tree even if you are not a paying member.

So you can export your tree as a GEDCOM file as back up but don't need to get a family tree program unless the GR program becomes unusable or GR goes out of business.

However it is probably better to do as Shirley says and get a Family Tree Program as that will have a lot of extra useful facilities that GR's tree doesn't.

Patricia

Patricia Report 24 Nov 2017 16:25

Thank you both for your reply and will look into it. I am a member and although I haven’t added to my tree for some time I certainly would not want to loose any of it after all the long , but rewarding work done......bit late in the day I know but just never thought of it before. Thanks again. Patricia

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Nov 2017 21:35

One of the free programs you can download is Rootsmagic Essentials.

https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 27 Nov 2017 19:20

I export my tree after making changes. The gedcom is stored as an email in your inbox until you are ready to put it into a different family tree programme. I use Family Tree Builder which is free on My Heritage, or at least, the basic one is.