Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Cert..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve,G

Steve,G Report 26 Nov 2017 21:11

Hi all, would anyone know what "S55 means on a birth cert.
Many thanks..

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Nov 2017 21:24

Where is wrtiten/typed and what years are involved.?also which country.is it the actual copy or in the regitration indexes,

Steve,G

Steve,G Report 26 Nov 2017 21:36

Written at bottom off Birth index. Name *****, Volume, then "see S55.
1945 Durham.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Nov 2017 21:58

It could be a number of reasons

It maybe because a wrong index number has been indexed or it was indexed for the wrong year.and --

So look in the year 1955 same quarter and you may see same name,same mothers maiden name, same Vol but a different page number.

Steve,G

Steve,G Report 26 Nov 2017 22:11

The details are correct as entered. And the person is written at the bottom with S55. This is using the last name I know. Then I do another search with same details except changing last name as I know. So, there are 2 entries using said person's known last names. Does this help ?

Steve,G

Steve,G Report 26 Nov 2017 22:18

Just done a search 10 years later as you said, and there they are.
Major Confussed.. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2017 22:18

It means a correction was done in sept 55

It may be the child was illegitimate but the parents later married so legitimised the child

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Nov 2017 22:22

Is the full name on both entries the same.?

It may mean the parents wasnt married in 1945 and in 1955 had the birth re-registered so any copy of the birth certificate would be as per-normal.....have you checked the 1945 in the maiden name of the mother.?if its also registered under that then it will answer your query.

Steve,G

Steve,G Report 26 Nov 2017 22:27

No, one says Hall, one says Nagel.
Nagel is the S55 one.
Then 1955 Nagel.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Nov 2017 23:21

I can now see the birth was indexed in 1945 ,the reason was there was a mix up of the mothers maiden name and in 1955 for some reason the GRO was informed of the index mistake and in 1955 it was corrected.for future reference,

Have sent a message to explain after finding more details.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Nov 2017 06:30

Kay
I can see the one with the correction to mmn spelling but it doesn't say anything about the name Nagel

Perhaps Steve could say if that is the one he is asking about

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 27 Nov 2017 09:55

Shirley- perhaps you're not looking at the correct entry- surname Nagle.

Mother had previously been married to surname Hall. Parent's married in 1951

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Nov 2017 10:12

Yes Kay has explained

I was looking at the spelling that Steve had typed as Nagel so just wasn't seeing it

Plus coincidentally there is a correction for the same name hall in1945/ 1955 which didn't include the name Nagel

Was confused.com !!!!!

Steve,G

Steve,G Report 27 Nov 2017 15:16

Thanks for your help guys, really helpful, thankyou :-)