Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

surname Langton

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 20:14

Hi please can anyone help. Trying to find any info on my great grandmother with the surname langton.

My nan ( her daughter ) was born
Martha m james in 1912
Martha married my pops Tommy mountain

I am trying to find my nans mum's first name also her husband ( my great grandad)
Name . If they had any other children. My nan Martha was brought up in an orthanage in London . She married at the young age of 14 to my pop who was 13 years older then her. I have my family tree going well on his side but nothing at all on my nans.
Yr help will be very much appriciated. Xxxx

Choccy

Choccy Report 2 Jan 2018 21:22

This looks like the marriage -

Marriages Jun 1926

James Martha M Mountain Marylebone 1a 1314
MOUNTAIN Thomas G James Marylebone 1a 1314

1939 Register

Mountain Household (4 People)

5,6,7 & 8 Ossington Buildings A Block Flat , St Marylebone, London, England

Thomas G Mountain 14 May 1900 Male Painter Decorator Married 33 1
Marie (Martha M) Mountain 16 Jun 1906 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 33 2
Arthur J Mountain 03 Aug 1928 Male At School Single 33 3

Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

Choccy

Choccy Report 2 Jan 2018 21:28

Her death -

England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007

Name: Martha Marie Mountain

Death Age: 85

Birth Date: 16 Jun 1906

Registration Date: Jun 1991

Registration district: North Walsham

Inferred County: Norfolk

Volume: 10

Page: 1619

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 21:33

Choccy thank u for yr reply...xxx
yes that's my grandparents that's where they lived. Does it say at all anywhere the name of Martha's mum's 1st name at all. Arthur Was my great uncle. He never married.
Can't seem to find Martha's parents names anywhere. Only that I believe her mum's maiden name was langton. Thank u for that info. Can I ask how u got it...... <3

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 21:34

Yes that's my nan. She passed away in a home in North walsham in Norfolk. Xxxx

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Jan 2018 21:39

Looks as though she added 6 years to her age looking at the 1939 register and dob from death reg.

You need a copy of the certificate to confirm her Father's name and occupation.

England & Wales births 1837-2006 Transcription

First name(s) MARTHA M
Last name JAMES
Birth year 1912
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's last name Langton
District Kensington
County London
Country England
Volume 1A
Page 243

EDIT - will leave posted but would appear not to be the correct person (see below)

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Jan 2018 21:41

If the birth in Kensington is correct, then this is a possibility for her parents marriage.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)
ARUNDELL Stephen Edward Kensington 1a 371
Courtland Dorothy Sarah J Kensington 1a 371
CURTLAND Dorothy Sarah J Kensington 1a 371
James John Kensington 1a 371 <<<<<<<<<<<<
Langton Bethia Kensington 1a 371 <<<<<<<<<<<<

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 21:46

Grey ghost. Thank u so much. Do u mean she would have lied about her age ?????
Yes I'm definitely sure it's Kensington.
Ohhh so many names. I don't quite understand hun. Which ones r a possibility that are her parents. Really appreciate everyone's help. I'm getting somewhere... yeahh xxxx

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Jan 2018 22:07

However, that 1912 birth would appear to be a Martha Matilda James not Martha Marie as per death record and 1939 reg.

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
JAMES, MARTHA MATILDA LANGTON Order
GRO Reference: 1912 M Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 243 Order

And it appears she died as Martha Matilda
James Martha Matilda 1912 1975 1975
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007 Hounslow, Middlesex, England

What makes you think she was born in 1912 and her Mother was a Langton?

the names marked <<<<<<< are the ones I thought were a possibility, (John James and Bethia Langton) but looks to be the wrong Martha.

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 22:22

So did she use her mum's name ?I'm lost. Everyone knew martha as marie and her eldest daughter my aunt was named marie.
She was 13 years older then my grandad. ...as we all thought.....
I'm trying to understand the dates names etc it's a bit confusing isn't it.

Also her mum's maiden name as langton comes up on the martha m james 1912 one .
Looks like she her mum might have been marie langton ????
Sorry if I sound thick. But trying to understand it all. Yr help is so helpful... xx

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 22:29

YOUNGER THEN MY POP.......
SORRY ....LOL XXX

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2018 22:40

Just for ref this looks like the Martha Matilda James that Grey Ghost mentions, here on the 1939 register

1939 REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION

Taylor Household (2 People)
5 Threshers Place , Kensington, London, England

Martha Matilda (M) James 25 Jan 1912 Female Sausage Factory Worker Single 73 2
William H Taylor 28 Feb 1902 Male Motor Mechanic Married 73 1

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 22:49

Ohhhhhh that's not her......
Nyx thank u. Gosh. I been rattling my brain after what grey ghost wrote.

Choccy has the right martha . My nan. I asumed it was she was the other one too....so she wasn't 13 years younger then my pop. We always thought she was. . It's me who's goes wrong. Doh....
How can I find her parents name.
Thank u for all yr help. Xxxx

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2018 22:49

Another child? ( will be the 'closed record' on the 1939 register)

Births Dec 1929 (>99%)
Mountain Thomas G James Paddington 1a 67

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2018 23:00

Serena if you haven't got it I would buy the marriage cert for Martha and Thomas, the witnesses might be family, and her father may be named ( if known),

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Jan 2018 23:05

I think you had assumed that Martha M James b 1912 with mmn Langton was your Nan because the age fitted ?? No point getting that birth certificate I don't think now.

That birth led to me posting the possible parents marriage as in the same area. However, this can probably be ruled out now.

Also, unless she lied about her age on the 1939 register then it's not her.

The 1912 Martha has been found as a single woman in 1939 and she died under that name too.

So back to trying to find a Martha M James born 1906.

The 1939 register shows your Nan as Marie (Martha M). Did the M stand for Marie or was it that she was known as Marie and the M was for something else.

Her marriage certificate to Thomas might reveal - if she knew it - her Father's name and his occupation and then he might be found on the 1911 census. It should also give her age.

If she was brought up in an orphanage was it because she had no Father or some other reason.

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 23:10

Funny u said another child . As on my heritage there's a good few matches that indicate another sibling to my mum and uncles and aunts by my nan . It says there's another sibling but records can't be shone as it's private..... Hmm mmmm
The Thomas wouldn't be her fathers name. It could be that missing child..

Ohhhh I'm really really confused. I don't get it all. But it's all so interesting. Just done my dna as well results we a shocker lol.
I need her parents name ..... I have no names on my nans side on my nans side. Xxxxx

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 2 Jan 2018 23:17

Nyx yes good idea. I did think about getting her birth certificate. But don't know where to get it from or her marriage certificate. .......xxx

Grey ghost. Yes I think I can rule that lady out as it's not her. I'm sure her middle name was marie as it's a lovely on my heritage tree and I have matched it with family members who also have martha marie.......date change a bit lol.

My nan had parents . Her dad was in the army and while he was away her mum played away hence why she may have been put into the orphanage. .. I think he scarppered when he found out about his wife's affair.
Xxxxxxx

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jan 2018 23:23

Don't rely on anything people have put on a tree Serena, they may well be wrong! :-)

You can order the marriage cert from

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Jan 2018 23:28

Come back to this thread when you have the certificate Serena and post the details from it, so we can hopefully help further.

You can find your thread again by clicking on "My Threads" under the heading "Tools" over on the left of this page.