Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Guild of St Margaret

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 Mar 2018 13:27

One of my ancestors was a member of this, she died in 1896, and I have a pendant cross with the Guild named on it. The lady lived in Barrow in Furness all her life.

I have googled the name, but can't find anything about it that suggests why she might be a member.

Does anyone here know anything, please?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Mar 2018 14:56

Was she perhaps a descendant of St. Margaret of Scotland? Although that would be hard to prove since St. Margaret lived 1045-1093.

ELIGIBILITY FOR MEMBERSHIP

Hereditary Membership is open to males and females of good moral character and reputation, at least eighteen years of age, who can prove lineal descent from St. Margaret of Scotland.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Mar 2018 14:59

It seems to be connected to St Luke's Church in Barrow. There are bits about it on this link.

https://tinyurl.com/y74qq92d

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 Mar 2018 16:07

Thank you for your replies.

We do apparently descend from St Margaret of Scotland, and this lady's aunt was a family historian, however, I think the link to St Luke's Church is most likely, as that is where this lady was a Sunday School teacher.