Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Connecting Generations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 13 Mar 2018 01:20

Is there a standard way of noting in a Tree, which of a line of brothers or sisters is the one that connects the generations To make it easier to follow. Thank's for your help
Regards Sue

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Mar 2018 09:55

A simple way is to put the relevant person's first name in upper case, to distinguish him/her from the siblings.

I'm sure other people have other methods. I don't know that there's a "standard" way.

EDIT:

No, ignore that - at least as far as GR is concerned!

On a GR tree, now I see that if you then leave that person, go to someone else, then return to the first person, the name has reverted to default (upper case first letter, all the rest lower case).

However, on my other tree, on RootsMagic, that system works.

GR also won't let you put an asterisk or similar before the name.
So assuming you mean a GR tree, I'm afraid I don't know the answer after all.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 13 Mar 2018 11:10

If you are referring to a tree on GR, have you looked at all the Views available?

Might either Pedigree or Ancestors views meet your needs?

EDIT
Asterisk. Not before, but what about having it at the end?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Mar 2018 11:33

Re asterisk at the end (or anywhere) -

no, GR objects, saying "Please enter a valid forename." (Or " . . . . surname")

Inky1

Inky1 Report 13 Mar 2018 15:45

AG
You are correct. I tried *, then #, then _, then gave up....../

BUT. Putting additional alpha worked.
I replaced Mary with Maryxxxx. And it saved. Shut the tree, then re-opened it. The x's were still there. So I deleted them and resaved.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Mar 2018 16:46

Yes, that works - just tried. You can even put a space between the name and an X. Or put X as middle name.

It still brings up the person on "Search tree", so long as it's the forename you've added x to , or if x is middle name . "Search tree" doesn't bring them up if you've added the x to the surname.

SueBrewer

SueBrewer Report 13 Mar 2018 20:10

Thank You ArgyllGran and Inky1. I thought I was asking a beginners questions But it was a valid question after all.
Regards Sue

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Mar 2018 10:19

I put an * as a second name or before the second name and that comes up. I have done this with my line on both sides.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2018 10:26

Oh yes, that's better than an X, Mel.

I'm off to do the same on my tree!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Mar 2018 11:37

Glad you like it.